(1) This Hierarchy of forces has four pre-eminent lines of work:
a. To develop self-consciousness in all beings.
b. To develop consciousness in the three lower kingdoms.
As is well known, the five kingdoms of nature on the evolutionary arc might be defined as follows: the mineral kingdom, the vegetable kingdom, the animal kingdom, the human kingdom, and the spiritual kingdom. All these kingdoms embody some type of consciousness, and it is the work of the Hierarchy to develop these types to perfection through the adjustment of Karma, through the agency of force, and through the providing of right conditions.
c. To transmit the will of the Planetary Logos.
They act as the transmitter to men and devas or angels, of the will of the Planetary Logos, and through Him of the Solar Logos.
d. To set an example to humanity.
. . . This Hierarchy is composed of Those Who have triumphed over matter, and Who have achieved the goal by the very self-same steps that individuals tread today. These spiritual personalities, these adepts and Masters, have wrestled and fought for victory and mastery upon the physical plane, and struggled with the miasmas, the fogs, the dangers, the troubles, the sorrows and pains of everyday living. They have trodden every step of the path of suffering, have undergone every experience, have surmounted every difficulty, and have won out . . . Their apprehension of the freedom that comes through the sacrifice of the form by the medium of the purificatory fires, suffices to give Them a firm hand, an ability to persist even when the form may seem to have undergone a sufficiency of suffering, and a love that triumphs over all setbacks, for it is founded on patience and experience. These Elder Brothers of humanity are characterised by a love which endures, and which acts ever for the good of the group; by a knowledge which has been gained through a millennia of lives, in which They have worked Their way from the bottom of life and of evolution well nigh to the top; by an experience which is based on time itself and a multiplicity of personality reactions and interactions; by a courage which is a result of that experience, and which, having itself been produced by ages of endeavour, failure, and renewed endeavour, and having in the long run led to triumph, can now be placed at the service of the race; by a purpose which is enlightened and intelligent, and which is co-operative, [Page 164]adjusting itself to the group and hierarchical plan and thus fitting in with the purpose of the Planetary Logos ... (1 - 20/5).
(2) This Hierarchy of Brothers of Light still exists, and the work goes steadily on. They are all in physical existence, either in dense physical bodies, such as many of the Masters employ, or in etheric bodies, such as the more exalted helpers and the Lord of the World occupy. It is of value for men to remember that They are in physical existence, and to bear in mind that They exist upon this planet with us, controlling its destinies, guiding its affairs, and leading all its evolutions on to an ultimate perfection. (1 - 32).
(3) The central home of this Hierarchy is at Shamballa, a centre in the Gobi desert, called in the ancient books the "White Island". It exists in etheric matter, and when the race of men on earth have developed etheric vision, its location will be recognised and its reality admitted. The development of vision is rapidly coming to pass . . . but the location of Shamballa will be one of the latest etheric sacred spots to be revealed, as it exists in the matter of the second ether. Several of the Masters in physical bodies dwell in the Himalaya mountains, in a secluded spot called Shigatse, far from the ways of men, but the greater number are scattered all over the world, dwelling in different places in the various nations, unrecognised and unknown, yet forming each in His own place a focal point for the energy of the Lord of the World, and proving to His environment a distributor of the love and wisdom of the Deity. (1 - 33).
(4) The entire planetary Hierarchy, though cognisant of the present endeavour, and therefore participating in the plans of the Council, are not all occupied with the problem of humanity in this present moment of crisis. There are many other lines of activity and of evolutionary expediency and undertaking, which must parallel the present endeavour. Work in relation to other kingdoms in nature (both subhuman and superhuman), and work in preparation for the period which must succeed this present time of crisis, must be continued as usual. (15 - 716).
(5) The spiritual Hierarchy cannot work through people whose tongues are critical, whose ideas and attitudes are separative, and who are violently partisan in their beliefs and comments. This is a statement of fact. I seek to have you train yourselves in such right activity, beginning with your own lives, and your personal expression in the world. (15 - 748).
(6) The Hierarchy works only with the spiritual nature or with the soul of humanity, and - to the Master - the form is regarded as relatively of no importance. (17 - 661).
(7) The fact of the Hierarchy is to many thinkers an established fact; [Page 165] the hypothesis that there may be a Hierarchy, is a widespread recognition. Information concerning its grades, its modes of working and its objectives, are now common property; much has been accepted and much provided by those who believe this teaching.
. . . I would like to spend a moment studying some of the effects of this steadily growing fund of knowledge. It has become the possession of the many, and not only of the rare and discreet esotericist and occult student; this teaching has now seeped down into the consciousness of the masses, and is there producing curiosity, relief and hope, speculation and cynical laughter, conscious spiritual effort, or sustained ridicule - according to the type of mind, the sensitivity to truth, or the crass credulity of the recipient. But the knowledge, belief and hope in the existence of a planetary Hierarchy, has today leavened the entire mass of human thinking in a far wider and deeper manner, than perhaps the most optimistic suspect; herein lies the hope of the world, and here is to be found also a fertile field for spiritual work during the coming decades. For this all disciples must prepare. (18 - 133).
(8) No disciple or aspirant can be drawn into the periphery of the Hierarchy, and from thence into an Ashram, without finding that his will nature is being affected. It will only show itself at this stage as persistence and determination. Persistence is a quality of life, and related to immortality, whilst determination is the lowest aspect of the will. Their development produces a reorientation, which becomes a permanent attitude. (18 - 377).
(9) The points I want you to bear in mind are as follows:
1. The great Ashram, the Hierarchy, is composed of many Ashrams, creating an "invoking area" of relationship for Sanat Kumara.
2. The Christ, aided by the Manu and the Mahachohan, is the Coordinator of the entire life of the great Ashram.
3. The personnel of the great Ashram is today entirely provided from the ranks of humanity. This was not so in the earlier cycles.
4. The great Ashram is formed of seven major Ashrams, and forty-two secondary Ashrams, which are gradually forming.
5. The entire Ashram is a unity, for the ashramic life in its differentiated groups, is guarded by a ring-pass-not.
6. This ring-pass-not is provided by radiation.
7. The forty-two lesser Ashrams are held together by the magnetic interplay of the whole.
8. Aspirants are drawn into relation with the Ashram, through its radiation, and enter finally into its magnetic field.
9. There is a dual flow of energy or force into the great Ashram:
a. Energising life from Shamballa, or what is called "unfettered enlightenment".
b. The energy of active intelligence from humanity, thus enabling the Masters to formulate the Plan.
10. The seven Ashrams are all concerned with the Plan.
11. The Master Morya is the Head of all the esoteric schools which truly prepare an aspirant for ashramic contact and work. The reason that a first ray Master is thus the Head is because it is the Will aspect which is developed within the Ashram.
12. It is the service of the Plan which binds the seven Ashrams, with their subsidiary Ashrams, into the one great Ashram.
13. It is only within his ray Ashram that the will of the disciple is developed.
14. The magnetic, dynamic energy of the first aspect of divinity, is found at the heart of each of the seven Ashrams, fed from a reservoir of will energy, which is found at the heart of the great Ashram itself.
15. The forty-two subsidiary Ashrams are energised by the reservoir of will energy found at the heart of each of the major Ashrams.
16. The seven Ashrams express each the quality of their ray, one of the seven ray types.
If you will have these points in mind, the whole hierarchical theme will be recognised and correctly interpreted by you. (18 - 379/80).
(10) The fact of the existence of the Hierarchy and its supreme Head, the Christ, is consciously recognised by hundreds of thousands today, though still denied by the orthodox. So many know this truth, and so many people of integrity and worth are co-operating consciously with the Members of the Hierarchy that ecclesiastical antagonisms, and the belittling comments of the concrete minded are of no avail. Men are moving out from under doctrinal authority into direct, personal and spiritual experience; they are coming under the direct authority which contact with Christ and His disciples, the Masters, ever confers. (7 - 145).
(11) For millions of years the Hierarchy has stood in silence behind world events, occupied with the following work - work which will eventually be carried on exoterically instead of esoterically:
1. The Hierarchy stands as a wall between humanity and excessive evil. Forget not that as humanity is thus protected, that protection extends to all the subhuman kingdoms, of which the fourth kingdom, the human, is the Macrocosm. The excessive evil, emanating from cosmic sources, requires [Page 167] the trained skill of the Hierarchy and the fiat of Shamballa to prevent it flooding over disastrously.
2. The Hierarchy works constantly at the task of awakening the consciousness aspect in all forms, so that it is awakened, expanded and intelligently employed.
3. The Hierarchy directs world events, as far as mankind will permit (for the free will and free decision of mankind may not be ignored), so that the unfolding consciousness may express itself through developing and adequate social, political, religious and economic world forms. They give direction; They throw light; They impress those who are in contact with Them, and through the inflow of ideas, and through revelation, They definitely influence the tide of human affairs.
4. The Hierarchy directs and controls, more than is realised, the unfolding cyclic cultures, and their resultant civilisations. These can then provide adequate forms, temporarily useful for the emerging soul of humanity. The format of cultures and civilisations receives special attention.
5. The Hierarchy receives and transmits energies and consequent forces from Shamballa, with resultant effects within the Hierarchy itself, and also with effects upon humanity and upon the soul of all things to be found in all kingdoms.
6. The Hierarchy receives that esoteric "Fire of God" which brings to an end cycles, ideologies, organisations and civilisations, when the due and right time comes. This They do in order to make place for that which is better and which will prove adequate and not limiting to the awakening consciousness and the emerging life.
7. The Hierarchy prepares men for initiation by:
a. Receiving them into the Ashrams of the Masters.
b. Offering Their disciples opportunity to serve in relation to the emerging Plan.
c. Inaugurating through the means of disciples of the period those new presentations of the training needed for initiation. Each major cycle receives new forms of the same ancient, yet basic, teaching. This present one is such a cycle, and much of my own work is in connection with this. (13 - 519/20).
I. First Planetary Centre ...........................................................Shamballa.
1. The Seven Rays or the seven Spirits before the Throne.
2. Certain great Intermediaries.
3. The Council Chamber of the Lord of the World.
II. Second Planetary Centre .......................................................Hierarchy.
1. The seven major Chohans and Their Ashrams.
2. The forty-nine Masters of the secondary Ashrams.
3. The sumtotal of the secondary Ashrams.
III. Third Planetary Centre..........................................................Humanity.
1. Disciples in manifestation - of the seven ray types.
2. The new group of world servers.
3. The sumtotal of humanitarians, educators and men of goodwill.
This is but a rough picture and one which is not totally correct; it will, however, show you certain direct lines of contact and of relationship which are true and which will suffice to give you a vague and general idea of the new alignment being set up between the three major planetary centres, requiring new adjustments. (13 - 528).
(13) The Hierarchy is a great fighting body today, fighting for the soul of men, fighting all that blocks the expansion of the human consciousness, fighting all that limits human freedom (I said not license), and fighting to remove those factors and barriers which militate against the return of the Christ and the emergence of the Hierarchy as a fully functioning body on earth. There is nothing weak, vacillating, sentimental or neutral in the attitude of the Hierarchy; this must be grasped by humanity, and the strength and insight as well as the love of the Hierarchy must be counted upon. (13 - 550/1)
(14) The Brotherhood is a community of souls who are swept by the desire to serve, urged by a spontaneous impulse to love, illumined by one pure Light, devotedly fused and blended into groups of serving minds, and energised by one Life. Its Members are organised to further the Plan which They consciously contact and with which They deliberately co-operate.
Those Lives Who carry out the ideas of the Divine Mind, exist in Their graded orders, and with the detail of Their groupings we are not concerned, except with the fact that the planetary Brotherhood is in telepathic rapport with Those Who are responsible for the planetary conditions in the solar system, with the Great Council, therefore, at Shamballa. They are also in immediate telepathic rapport with each other. The slowly manifesting powers of the radio and the sensitive workings of the perfecting radio mechanisms and of television, are but the response in physical matter of the [Page 169] perfected telepathic powers and television of the minds of the Masters of Wisdom. Forget not, that such powers are inherent in all men.
The inner group of Masters with Whom I am associated, work telepathically also with Their disciples, and the disciples with each other in lesser degree. (5 - 23/4).
(15) The Hierarchy is essentially the group of the Lord of the World; it is His Ashram. (5 - 685).
See also: (6 - 63/4).
THE HIERARCHY: EXTERNALISATION OF-
(1) The tests for the first initiation, as far as humanity (the world disciple) is concerned, are well-nigh over, and the hour of the birth of the Christ as an expression of the fourth kingdom in nature, and the consummation of the work of the Fourth Creative Hierarchy, is at hand. This there is no gainsaying; the birth hour may be long, and the form may be "in labour" for much time, but the Christ will be born, and the nature of the Christ and His consciousness will permeate and colour all human affairs. It is this condition - so imminent and so desirable and long foretold and anticipated - which will make possible the return of the Hierarchy and the restoration of the Mysteries.
These occurrences are not only dependent upon the fitness of humanity to provide the right setting, and upon the inevitability of evolutionary development itself, but the reappearance of the Hierarchy, and that which its Members will accomplish, is related also (and primarily) to the interior life, and the spiritual impulses within the Hierarchy itself, and unrelated to mankind altogether. The Hierarchy pursues its own line of spiritual unfoldment, as a paralleling activity to its services on Earth, in connection with planetary evolution. Men are so apt to regard their own lives and destiny, and the unfoldment of the human consciousness, as the factor of only and paramount importance upon Earth and in the evolutionary processes of the planet. These conditions are of importance, but they are not the only factors of importance, nor does humanity stand alone and isolated. Humanity occupies a midway point between the subhuman and the superhuman kingdoms, and each of these groups of evolving lives, has its own important destiny - important to all contained within the group ring-pass-not. They have their own chosen and differing modes, methods, and ways of achievement. Just as individual man has to learn the art of the science of relation- [Page 170] ship to other men and to his environment, so humanity as a whole has to learn its relationship to that which lies above and beyond mankind, and with that which is below and left behind. This involves a sense of proportion which can be attained only by the mind principle in man, and by those who are beginning to be mentally polarised. This sense of proportion will reveal to men their place upon the ladder of evolution, and lead them to the recognition of the peculiar destiny, and unique goals of other kingdoms in nature, including the fifth kingdom, the Kingdom of God, the spiritual Hierarchy of our planet.
The Hierarchy is itself also at a point of spiritual crisis. Its initiates stand before the Door which leads to the Way of the Higher Evolution, and the entire personnel of the Hierarchy waits to make a united move forward, paralleling - on its own level - the move forward which humanity is also destined to make.
But, my brothers, here is the point of interest. Under the great law of synthetic expression (called by us the Law of Synthesis, the law governing the first divine aspect), the Hierarchy must move forward in such a manner that the effort must encompass the physical plane as well as the higher planes. The activity engineered must cover the three worlds of the Spiritual Triad. Forget not the overlapping of these two worlds, which takes place upon the mental plane and warrants the well-known phrase "the five worlds of superhuman evolution". Hence, therefore, the necessity for the externalisation of the Hierarchy, and the demonstration of Their united ability to work from the physical plane up to the highest, in order to move unitedly through this Door on to the Way. Speaking symbolically, this externalisation is for the Members of the Hierarchy, an act of sacrificial service, but it is also a symbolic gesture. The Hierarchy incarnates on Earth again, and for the first time since its last incarnation in Atlantean days. It is, however, a group incarnation and not the incarnation of individual Members. This is probably a subtle point, too difficult for you to grasp.
The externalisation of the Hierarchy, therefore, and the restoration of the Mysteries, are not something done for humanity or simply carried out because men have earned a closer contact, have the right to some reward, or are now so spiritual that the Hierarchy can have a good and useful time helping them. The picture is entirely different. What looms with such importance in the consciousness of men is, in reality, quite secondary in relation to the hierarchical crisis which we are considering. This reappearance on the physical plane, and the consequent life of service (involving factors of profound significance to men), are an expression of the inherent spiritual [Page 171] impulse, which is impelling hierarchical action in two directions, but involving one unified movement, embracing all the five planes of superhuman evolution, and necessitating a group recapitulation of incarnated process.
The Hierarchy has its own life, and its own goals and objectives, its own evolutionary rhythm, and its own spiritual expansions; these are not the same as those of the human kingdom. These goals and rhythms will become more familiar to thinking men as the Hierarchy approaches closer to the physical plane. (18 - 333/5).
(2) We are working and living in the initial stages of the period wherein preparation is being made for the emergence of the Hierarchy into the world of men. The emergence is at present purely on to the mental levels, but when the thoughtform of exoteric existence is created by humanity itself, and the evocative cry is intense enough, then the Great Ashram will slowly make its appearance upon the physical plane. (18 - 382).
(3) In the meantime the Hierarchy is orienting itself to a much closer rapport with humanity, and to an interior reorganisation which will make it possible to admit disciples in large numbers into the great Ashram. (18 - 383).
(4) (The Members of the Hierarchy) are already - one by one - entering into outer activity upon the physical plane. They are not recognised for what They are, but They go about the Father's business, demonstrating goodwill, seeking to enlarge the horizon of humanity, and thus prepare the way for the One Whom They serve, the Christ, the Master of all the Masters, and the Teacher alike of angels and of men. (8 - 170).
(5) Two things must be realised as the interested student considers this event of externalisation:
1. The senior Members of the Hierarchy will not at first be the ones who will make the needed approach. Under Their direction and Their close supervision, this approach will be made - in the early stages - by initiates of and under the degree of the third initiation, and also by those disciples who will be chosen and designated to implement Their efforts, and so will work under Their direction. It is only in the later stages, and when the time has come for the return into recognised physical expression of the Christ, leading to the definite restoration of the Mysteries, that certain of the senior Members of the Hierarchy will appear and take outer and recognisable physical control of world affairs. The time for this will be dependent necessarily upon the success of the steps taken by the Members of the Hierarchy who are not so advanced.
2. Members of the Hierarchy, whether working in the early stages or [Page 172] later when the true externalisation takes place, will work as members of the human family, and not as proclaimed members of the Kingdom of God, or of souls, known to us as the Hierarchy; they will appear in office of some kind or another; they will be the current politicians, business men, financiers, religious teachers or churchmen; they will be scientists and philosophers, college professors and educators; they will be the mayors of cities, and the custodians of all public ethical movements. The spiritual forcefulness of their lives, their clear, pure wisdom, the sanity and the modern acceptableness of their proposed measures in any department in which they choose to function, will be so convincing, that little impediment will be set in the way of their undertakings. (13 - 570).
(6) The externalised Ashrams will be active along four major lines:
1. Creating and vitalising the new world religion.
2. The gradual reorganising of the social order - an order free from oppression, the persecution of minorities, materialism and pride.
3. The public inauguration of the system of initiation. This will involve the growth and comprehension of symbolism.
4. The exoteric training of disciples and of humanity in this new cycle. (13 - 700).
See also: (6 - 408/11).
(1) A horoscope is frequently quite accurate in its delineation for the unevolved and for the unawakened, but is quite in error and at fault in the case of the highly evolved man. (4 - 295).
(2) An advanced individual can offset the influence of the planets, and thus so dominate his personality life that prediction and certainty, as to activity and circumstance, are no longer possible. The soul is dominating, and the planets cease to condition life. (16 - 32).
(3) As man evolves, the mechanism of response, or the vehicles of consciousness likewise steadily improve. His reactions, therefore, to the planetary influence, and to the energy of the various constellations, change with equal steadiness, and allowance must be made for this. It is consequently essential that the modern astrologer begins to study the point in evolution of the subject, prior to casting his horoscope. He must ascertain his approximate place upon the path of evolution. (16 - 69).
See also: "Astrology".