THE RETURN OF THE CHRIST - Part 3
I have here given you the possibilities with which the work is challenged and confronted, and again I must refuse to foretell what will happen. It is not permitted. I have felt it necessary to summarise the situation because it is in this world that you and all men of goodwill will have to work for the next twenty years; this period of settlement will not be an easy one in which the disciples of the Christ have to prepare for His appearance. The two decades ahead of you are those in which you must bring to fruition the seeds which I have planted. Though I shall not be actively and outwardly working with you or communicating with you as I have done over the past thirty years, you will have my books (which will then be finished) and the relation which I now hold to you and to all the activities which I have helped you to inaugurate will remain basically the same; it will be more subjective but many in the world today know the means of reaching me.
The Christ, Whom I serve as a disciple, and the spiritual Hierarchy, of which I am a member, are drawing steadily nearer to humanity; in the past I have used the statement to reassure you, "The Hierarchy stands"; today I say to you, "The Hierarchy is near."
The work that must be done in the two coming decades is as follows, and I shall not enlarge upon it because you have  been trained to do it; you know what to do and the responsibility is yours—as will be my unfailing help.
1. Prepare men for the reappearance of the Christ. This is your first and greatest duty. The most important part of that work is teaching men—on a large scale—to use the Invocation so that it becomes a world prayer and focusses the invocative demand of humanity.
2. Enlarge the work of the Triangles so that, subjectively and etherically, light and goodwill may envelop the earth.
3. Promote ceaselessly the work of World Goodwill, so that every nation may have its group of men and women dedicated to the establishing of right human relations. You have the nucleus, and expansion must be undertaken. You have the principle of goodwill present throughout the world; the task will be heavy indeed but far from impossible.
4. Undertake the constant distribution of my books, which contain much of the teaching for the New Age. In the last analysis, the books are your working tools and the instruments whereby you will train your workers. See that they are kept in steady circulation.
5. Endeavour to make the Wesak Festival (at the time of the May Full Moon) a universal festival and known to be of value to all men of all faiths. It is the festival in which the two divine Leaders, of the East and of the West, collaborate together and work in the closest spiritual union; the Christ and the Buddha use this festival each year as the point of inspiration for the coming year's work. See that you do likewise. The spiritual energies are then uniquely available.
6. Discover the members of the New Group of World Servers, whenever possible, and strengthen their hands. Look for them in every nation and expressing many lines of thought and points of view. Remember always that in doctrine and dogma, and in techniques and methods, they may differ widely from you, but in love of their fellowmen, in practical goodwill and in devotion to the establishing of right human relations they stand with you, they are your equals, and can probably teach you much.
And now: What shall I say to you in closing, my comrades, my brothers and my co-disciples? I have said to you so much over the past years that there is little left to say; you have all you need wherewith to carry on the work, impulsed from the Hierarchy, through what I have attempted to do. I can only say that I have confidence in you and that I expect no slackening of effort from you. You are dedicated and consecrated and will remain so, for the closeness of the Hierarchy and the nearness of the Christ indicate to you increased sources of strength.
May the blessing of the One Whom we all serve rest upon you all and upon all disciples everywhere, and may you do your full share in helping men to pass from darkness into light and from death to immortality.
THE ASHRAMS CONCERNED AT THE COMING
The Full Moon is upon us and the thoughts of the world (to a far larger extent than you realise) are directed towards the Christ. It is upon His concerns that I speak to you today, inextricably bound up, as they are, with the concerns of humanity, and this by His Own choice. Many today in all lands are turning their thoughts consciously to Him; others are aware of a vague turning towards some divine Person or Power Who must and should help mankind in its hour of need. There is a rising, an ascension of the spirit of man everywhere which is better known to us than to you, whose values and reactions are not so spiritual. The strength, the power and the special energies which He received at that dramatic moment when He, the Buddha and the Lord of the World created a Triangle of Light at the time of the Wesak Festival, will be released by Him at the hour of the Full Moon of June. This Light has been concentrated upon the "centre which we call the race of men," but it has not yet been released. At the Full Moon it will be poured out all over the Earth. During the interim between reception and distribution,  it has been transformed into the energy of goodwill and into that light which will illumine the minds of men.
The Great Invocation—now being used by so many—has greatly facilitated the receptivity of men; the creative appearance of effective goodwill can, however, be some time in manifesting. Nevertheless, nothing can arrest its subtle working and its eventual widespread appearance, on a scale great enough to be effective throughout the whole world. This greatly to be desired expression of divine purpose will be fulfilled if humanity (as a whole) stands in steady expectancy, wise activity, and makes broad and brotherly decisions. As I have often told you, the final decisions in world affairs have to be made through mankind's deliberate choice; no compulsion is ever exerted by the Hierarchy or by the disciples of the Christ to force men to take some desirable action. Man's free will must be preserved. In an unique manner, men are today facing a period of the freeing of the human soul, or a period of its imprisonment indefinitely; the right decision will lead to the Kingdom of God, and the other to a retrogression which will deify the past and prolong past wrong action.
This outpouring of spiritual energy passes through the groups or (to use a technical word which is relatively unimportant) through the Ashrams of all the Masters of the Wisdom, the Disciples of the Christ. It is then transformed or transmuted by them so as to meet adequately the needs of the different types of people who compose humanity and who are represented in the Ashrams by different Masters. Through all the Masters and through all disciples this energy passes, so that all—at their many different stages—may receive the needed stimulation. They precipitate certain specialised aspects of this newly received energy, and they therefore will be peculiarly active in the coming period.
Five of the Masters and Their five Ashrams are primarily involved in this preparatory work. There is first of all the Ashram of the Master K.H., which is the presiding Ashram in this work, owing to the fact that it is a second ray Ashram, and therefore upon the same line of spiritual energy and descent as the Christ Himself. Another reason is that the  Master K.H. will assume the role of World Teacher in the distant future when the Christ moves on to higher and more important work than dealing with the consciousness of humanity. Next comes the Master Morya and His Ashram, because the whole procedure is projected from Shamballa, and He is in close touch with that dynamic centre. The Master R., as the Lord of Civilisation, is necessarily closely involved in this preparatory work, and also because He is what has been called the Regent of Europe. Another Ashram is also very deeply concerned in this work; I have, at times, referred to the Master Who was responsible for the organisation of Labour. This work He began to do in the latter part of the nineteenth century, but left it to carry forward of its own momentum when Russia entered the field and laid an undue emphasis upon the proletariat during the revolution and in the later years of the first quarter of the twentieth century. I (D.K.) am the fifth Master concerned in this special work and am, as it were, the liaison officer between those active and conscious disciples who are working in the world of outer affairs and those directly responsible to the Christ for the desired work of preparation. Certain disciples from these five Ashrams or groups have been (and will be) especially trained for the work of contacting the public.
The stimulation which can be given will be released at the coming Full Moon. The five specialised energies are as follows:
1. The Energy of Love-Wisdom. This energy always has an effect upon every type of human being in the world. Its effect is to stimulate the tendency towards goodwill and to produce a mental development which can transmute the knowledge—garnered down the ages—into wisdom. It is wisdom which is needed today. Those who are now attempting to foster goodwill in themselves and others will be stimulated into wise action. You can see, therefore, that the outpouring of this energy is the first and greatest need. It can reach mankind because the Founders of all the world religions (I refer not to their many diversifications) are banded together in  unison with the Christ, Their Lord and Master; through Their united and directed effort, these energies will flow. Forget not that Christ represents the energy of love and the Buddha that of wisdom.
2. The Energy of Will or Power. The outpouring of this energy, owing to the "little wills" of the majority of men and the developed strenuous wills of certain present world Leaders, will not have as wide or potent an effect or contact as may the others. Its inflow will, however, serve to bring about a "fixed intention" on the part of many to work ceaselessly for true peace and understanding. These people will therefore aid in the task of implementing goodwill. It will, nevertheless, strengthen the will of the selfish, ambitious and obstinate men who are in positions of power and influence, and produce increased trouble—at least temporarily. The salvation of the world and the production of the needed security will be brought about in the long run by the mass of men everywhere, in all lands; it will be the result of an intensified educational process. Humanity, as yet, does not know how to handle wisely the energy of the will-to-power, and it is largely this that has handicapped the manifestation of the will-to-good. The Shamballa force is too strong for those who are naturally wilful. In the case of certain potent men, this energy reaches them directly, and is not stepped down for them through contact with the Hierarchy of Love; it naturally expresses itself in the political fields and in the realm of governments, through rulers, officials, statesmen and politicians. When the "little wills" of the intelligentsia, of those who serve the public in some capacity or other, and those above all who are working in some connection with the United Nations, become strengthened, stimulated and focussed on goodwill, the union of the two energies of Love-Wisdom and of Will can bring about the needed changes in the planetary life. This is not an immediate happening, but it is not a visioning of the impossible.
3. The Energy of Active Intelligence. This third type of energy is the easiest one for modern humanity to receive—which is perhaps a sad commentary upon man's aspirations.  The proof of this lies in the fact that much of this type of energy (through the selfish perception and desires of mankind) has been crystallised into money. Human intelligence has served on the side of materialism and not on the side of the spiritual values. Money is the concretised expression of the third type of spiritual energy. This particular expression appeared first in the ancient and equally materialistic system of barter and exchange; then, in later civilisations (predominantly including ours) we have the appearance of money, made first from the products of the mineral kingdom, and then later came paper money, made from the products of the vegetable kingdom. This has culminated in the modern preoccupation with money. There is very deep occult meaning to be found in the statement in the New Testament that "the love of money is the root of all evil". It is largely money and selfishness which lie behind the present disastrous economic situation. Great financiers are in reality those in whom the receipt of money, or of this type of energy, constitutes the line of least resistance, plus the will to make vast fortunes, which cannot be gainsaid. They will to make a fortune; they bring their intelligence to bear upon their goal, and naught can stop them. Many of them are purely selfish; some regard their money as a trust to be used for others and are amazingly generous in a philanthropic and humanitarian sense. These men are receptive to the first type of energy, and frequently all the three types find a channel through them, and the world is greatly benefited; such men are nevertheless very rare. It still remains for the crystallised aspect of this third energy—money—to be used on a large scale for the furtherance of the work of the Hierarchy. It is at this point and in connection with money that the great test of goodwill should demonstrate.
4. The energy which produces order. This is the energy of the seventh ray or power of divinity. At this time, its major expression will come through the relationships and adjustments required between capital and labour, and labour will be primarily involved. This energy is being assimilated in the Ashram of the Master Whom I mentioned above; at the  inception of the industrial era He was responsible for the formation of the labour movement—a movement bringing into relation the workers of the world. It is interesting to have in mind that today labour functions internationally; it is a group which learns with rapidity and has in it the seeds of vast good; it is probably the group which will place goodwill in the forefront of human thinking—upon a pinnacle of thought. This Master to Whom I refer belongs to the Ashram of the Master R. He relieves Him of this phase of the work to be done.
5. The energy of right human relations. This energy is a subsidiary expression of the energy of Love-Wisdom—the first of the great outpouring energies. It emanates, therefore, from the subsidiary Ashram for which I am responsible. I have written and taught much about it, and with some success. "Right human relations" is not simply goodwill, as people seem to think; it is a product or result of goodwill and the instigator of constructive changes between individuals, communities and nations. About it I need not write, for you have enough teaching from me to guide you. Your daily actions will be those of goodwill, directed towards the establishing of right human relations if you are rightly oriented within the race of men and towards the spiritual Hierarchy.
These energies—along with others at this time far less potent and therefore of only secondary importance—will greatly stimulate the hearts and minds of men. It is the task of the Members of the Hierarchy to distribute these energies (once they are released by the Christ) to the working disciples on the physical plane and to the myriad aspirants in training for discipleship and to the members of the New Group of World Servers. Members of the New Group of World Servers consist of those who are completely dedicated to the service of humanity and to the establishing of right human relations under hierarchical impression; aspirants and quite a few disciples have diversified interests and only serve part time. To all these groups is committed the task of implementing the work and directing the energies for which the Christ is responsible. The objectives of the Hierarchy in this  divine act of massed impression and stimulation are briefly three, as follows:
1. To bring about those conditions which will make the coming of the Christ possible. The blended influence of these energies will bring about what may at first appear to be undesirable results, because the remaining opposition of the Forces of Evil is still active and must be overcome; this may necessitate drastic measures, but great good will eventually appear.
2. To prepare the minds of men so that they may be ready for the influence of the Avatar about Whom the Scriptures speak. He is called the Avatar of Synthesis and His influence will be spread through the work and the activity of the Christ.
It must be remembered that synthesis is an aspect of the first divine characteristic, the Will, or rather, the Will-to-Good. This energy or influence, which the Christ Himself will wield (and for which He has been long preparing Himself), produces cohesion, a drawing together and a tendency to fusion and union. The separateness of humanity, and its selfishness, had reached such vast proportions, and its effects were so completely dominated by the Forces of Evil, that—in response to the massed inchoate demand of humanity—the Hierarchy called for spiritual interposition. The endless selfish propaganda, in speech or in writing, most of it materialistic, nationalistic and basically untrue and wrongly motivated, became such a clamour that it reached to spheres usually impervious to the sounds of earth; the Avatar of Synthesis was called in to aid.
The main objective and the immediate task of the Christ is to bring to an end the separateness which exists between man and man, family and family, community and community, and nation and nation. This is a simple statement, and one that can be understood easily by the most ignorant; it is simple also in that it provides a practical objective and task  for the smallest and the most unimportant of the sons of men; all can cooperate if they will. It is nevertheless a task which has required the mobilising of the entire planetary Hierarchy, and the assistance also of a great Being Who would normally work on levels of consciousness higher than those on which Christ and His disciples labour.
3. To stimulate the aspiration in the hearts of men so that human receptivity to the good, the beautiful and the true may be greatly increased. These energies will bring in the new creative era, which will sweep into expression as soon as world tension has subsided; then men will be free to think and to create the new forms for the new ideals; then they will bring into manifestation in words, in colour, in music and in sculptured forms the new revelation and the new world which the coming of Christ will inaugurate.
It will be obvious (if you have considered my words with care) that a great spiritual movement is under way—perhaps the greatest of all time, if we except the great spiritual crisis which brought the fourth kingdom into being, the human kingdom. I have mentioned above only three of the most important results for which the Hierarchy hopes. Humanity is deemed to have reached a point in evolution where much can be done, because the minds of men—for the first time on a worldwide scale—are sensitive to spiritual impression; the opportunity of the moment is unique, because minds everywhere are showing themselves superlatively receptive to both good and evil. Men are not today governed so much by blind impulse as by considered thought. There have always been small groups and rare souls who have demonstrated the capacity to respond to spiritual impression. The line of least resistance for the masses is the selfish impulse, and there lies the major point of attack by the Forces of Light.
The totalitarian powers have always realised and exploited this capacity of human beings to be responsive to  good or bad impression. By impressing certain doctrines, certain principles and certain beliefs on their people, and by withholding the truth or the facts and ignoring the realities, they contrive to swing their people into an acceptance which means—for the controlling initiators—immense power.
Other nations, the so-called democracies, are in a state of great confusion, split into political, religious and social parties, listening to the teaching, the dreams and the plans of every person who has an idea and thrusts himself forward into the public consciousness, having no true or good policy, tainted by selfishness (personal or national, and sometimes both), and demanding the settlement of material affairs with small attention—if any—to the recognised spiritual goals and values.
There is fortunately a growing body of those of all faiths, or of no religious faith, to be found in every continent and nation who are aware of the stirring of this spiritual movement—linking humanity and the Hierarchy. This is due to their reaction to spiritual hope, to the expectancy and to the curiously widespread belief that divine intervention is possible and at hand. As the momentum of this spiritual activity develops, so will the responsiveness among men develop, and if the reaction is that which is hoped for, it will be the masses everywhere who will slowly unite to bring about the conditions needed for the reappearance of the Prince of Peace, bringing with Him the potency and the benediction of the Avatar of Synthesis. The number of these semi-enlightened people is growing fast; desperation is hastening their response to help from on high, and in due time their numbers will be so great that totalitarianism, as well as chaotic democracy, will not be able to stand against them.
This is no mystical or visionary dream with which I am presenting you. It involves hard business sense on the physical plane, a practical commonsense, a cessation of the constant presentation of a beautiful future in a mythical heaven of idleness and uselessness. The bringing in of the Kingdom of God, the preparation for the coming of the Christ and the salvaging of mankind demand courage, organisation,  business acumen, psychology and persistence; it needs trained workers and much money; it calls for carefully considered programmes, possessing long range vision, plus sensible modern procedures. It is to this that all with true vision and a love of humanity are called today; it means the spreading of an intelligently cultivated goodwill and the fostering of those conditions, attitudes and points of view which will inevitably bring about right human relations.
I would call your careful attention to one most important matter. The moment that a point of balance is reached, the moment that those who stand for separateness and materialism, for totalitarianism or for any imposed regime (and consequently an evil unity), and those who stand for the freedom of the human soul, for the rights of the individual, for brotherhood and right human relations, are equal in force, in position and in influence, then the doors of the Hierarchy (symbolically speaking) will open, and the Christ with His disciples will come. This balance has to reach a point upon mental levels; it has to be reached by those who can think, who can influence, and in whose hands lies the responsibility for what the masses below the mental level know and believe. The unskilled labourer, the numerous people who never think, who are only young in the experience of incarnation, and the multitudes who evade thought even when they are capable of it, lie in the hands of two vast and dominant groups: the totalitarians and the democracies.
The consequences of attaining a point of balance are very close today. Organised evil is not in power; organised good is still quite ineffective, largely owing to the failure of the religions of the world to give a true picture of Christ's mission; therefore the struggle for control is with us now. If the forces of evil, plus the groups of men who seek control of the human spirit (no matter in what country they are found, and they can be found in every single country without exception), become dominant, the doors of evil will open and the life of man will lose its meaning; death will settle down upon our planet—death both spiritual and  mental. If the forces of good, the work of the New Group of World Servers, and the activities of men of goodwill everywhere prevail, the doors of the spiritual Hierarchy will open and—to use a Biblical phrase—the Hosts of the Lord will issue forth. The Christ Will Come.
ORGANISING THE ASHRAMS INTO FORM ON EARTH
I would ask you, at the time of this Full Moon of June to spend a little time in visualising the situation which is likely to come about on Earth if and when (as a result of the preparatory work done by and for humanity), the Hierarchy is externalised or manifests itself as a definite and recognised organisation upon the physical plane. What will happen in the world if and when the Masters of the Wisdom function objectively and physically among people in—for instance—our great cities? For millions of years, They have worked behind the scenes, utilising the minds, brains and physical equipment of Their disciples in order to carry out Their beneficent purposes. Such workers under hierarchical inspiration are by no means mediumistic in their nature, but have established a right relationship with their own souls and with the Master of their Ashram. They are responsive to hierarchical impression; they know the plans which the Masters are endeavouring to carry out, and their cooperation is willingly and consciously given; they are left entirely free to work as they see fit—after due recognition of the information and the inspiration given.
Will this system of working on behalf of humanity come to an end? In what manner will the effective and needed changes be made? How will the proposed organisation take place? Of how much of these changes and organisation will average humanity be aware? These and many similar questions almost automatically arise in your minds, and it is essentially necessary that the creative imagination  of the advanced man, of aspirants, of probationary disciples (as well as that of the working disciple), does not run riot, creating those thoughtforms which could intervene between the true vision and the work to be done, and interfere therefore with the needed manifestation. It is exceedingly important that the following facts should be realised: the thinking of those who are preparing humanity for the reappearance of the Christ must be most closely guarded and controlled; wishful thinking and the formulation of plans in line with ordinary human methods and techniques must not be permitted at this time. The first lesson, therefore, which you have to learn in this work of preparation, is controlled thought and sensitivity to hierarchical impression.
The sole task which confronts you and all aspirants and disciples, is to prepare humanity for two events:
1. The organisation of certain of the Masters' Ashrams in the different countries of the world wherein they can render effective service.
2. The reappearance of the Christ at a date somewhat later than the externalisation of the Ashrams and their physical plane organisation.
How, where, when and in what manner the Masters will make Their appearance is none of your affair. Their plans are laid, and They look for and expect no unthinking and unintelligent obstructions and assumptions from those to whom the task of preparation is committed. They have seen to it that the teaching of the New Age has been given to aspirants and disciples in the world, for distribution; They are rapidly admitting new disciples into Their Ashrams, and as fast as is desirable and permissible (for the Hierarchy works ever under law) They are passing them into the halls of initiation.
At the same time, competent disciples are searching the world for sensitive and willing aspirants; these disciples are laying their emphasis upon intelligence and spiritual freedom, working out as free and understanding cooperation;  these disciples will not be sidetracked by the devotion—unintelligently expressed—of the neophyte upon the occult way. It is occult students for whom search is now being made, and not mystics; it is for clear-thinking men and women that the call has gone forth, and not for the fanatic or for the person who sees nothing but the ideal, and who is unable to work successfully with situations and things as they are, and who cannot, therefore, apply the necessary and unavoidable compromise.
The coming or the advent of the Hierarchy on earth will not bring the sudden and the beneficent changes which the enthusiastic desire. Every necessary evolutionary move is always a slow move. At no time will the Hierarchy infringe the natural processes of evolutionary growth or the normally slow development of the various kingdoms in nature towards divine expression. The Masters will, however, take advantage of all the points attained by these kingdoms, and They will (at certain critical times) utilise the more advanced specimens of the natural types—in a selective process—in order to bring in something new, better or different. This applies to the human kingdom just as much as it does to the vegetable, for instance. There is a line of thought for you in this statement.
One major technique employed by the Hierarchy is a constantly applied stimulation. Of this, the effect of the sun upon all life-forms is a symbol. It must however be remembered that the Masters have, therefore, to apply such stimulation scientifically, working first in one direction and then in another, modifying the stimulation and the inpouring stream of energy to meet a need; this They do in order to produce the desired result, and to bring to fruition that which is latent within the individual. They work with seven major types of energy; five of these are now in full use and two of them are rapidly coming into effective service. It must be borne in mind that I am here referring to the use of stimulating, vivifying, fructifying and mutable energies under what is called (esoterically) "scientific impression." These energies are:
1. The energy of prana; this is the life-giving energy from the Sun which deals out both life and death, health and disease, according to the quality of the substance or material form upon which it makes its impact. This impact and its results are today entirely automatic in application and effectiveness, and are regarded as functioning "below the threshold of the consciousness" of humanity, and necessarily of the Hierarchy. Its rhythm is established and its effects are well known and proven. The direction of this energy will eventually be in the hands of that great planetary centre, Humanity; therefore, to mankind will then be committed the responsibility for its distribution to the sub-human kingdoms in nature.
2. The energy of the emotions or that of the astral plane. This energy is today in a condition of extra-ordinary activity, producing basic changes upon all sides, stimulating desire (both good and bad), and governing, via the solar plexus centre, all that lies below the diaphragm in the human vehicle of expression upon etheric and physical levels. This, when combined with a powerful inflow of the energy of prana, produces and stimulates every aspect of the animal magnetism with which every physical form is equipped; when combined with the energy of mind, it produces a magnetic personality, and this in both the good and the bad sense.
3. The energy of the mental plane. This is rapidly coming into an unique potency and its effects today are reaching down into the very depths of humanity, thus bringing to the surface the mental capacity which is latent in and hitherto unused by the masses of men everywhere. It can be described as pouring into the human consciousness by means of four divisions of mental energy:
a. The energy of ideological thought.
b. The energy of religious formulations; these are  in process of creating great changes in the minds of men concerning the religious concepts of the world and the new spiritual values.
c. The energy which is today producing the struggle for freedom and liberation from environing conditions. This may express itself as the world fight (at this time) for the freedom of the will of men, as it expresses itself in the press, in speech, in government, or in the struggle for a deepened spiritual life for man. This "energy of liberation" was sensed, registered and voiced for humanity by Franklin D. Roosevelt in The Four Freedoms, so much discussed by men today; he thereby laid the foundation for the new civilisation and the new world culture.
d. The energy of the spiritual Hierarchy of the planet, as it is applied today by the Hierarchy in the transmutation of the sad and sorry past of humanity into the glorious prospect of the New Era. This is, as you may well imagine, a sevenfold energy, emanating from and directed by the seven major Ashrams, under the direction of the Christ and of the senior Masters and Chohans, deciding in council the method, the extent and the quality of the distribution of the energy involved; They decide also where it should make its impact so as to achieve the best and the most constructive results. It is with this sevenfold energy that the Hierarchy will work in preparation for its physical plane manifestation and for the reappearance of the Christ.
4. The energy of humanity itself, organised and directed by the advanced thinkers and workers in all and every (and this I reiterate) branch of human executive work; in every educational process and in all political regimes. I would most definitely emphasise the widespread nature of this energy contact because esoteric students have very frequently  the erroneous idea that the Hierarchy works only through the medium of esoteric and so-called occult groups. The more advanced a man may be, the more sensitive to impress he becomes, and the human race has now reached a point of sensitivity never before attained. This has happened through the agency of the energies listed above. Disciples and aspirants and the intelligentsia everywhere and in every land are today—consciously or unconsciously—responsive to these four energies; the closer they are affiliated with some Ashram in the Hierarchy, the more the sevenfold hierarchical energies can be distributed to the rest of the human family. It is therefore in this field that the major hierarchical endeavour will—during the next fifty years—express itself. Here, consequently, lies the fundamental problem confronting the Hierarchy, for these energies must be most carefully directed and their resultant impact be most scientifically considered if over-stimulation is to be avoided.
5. The energy of the second aspect of divinity, vaguely called by the mystics of the past era "the Christ consciousness." This naturally focusses through the Christ Himself, standing as the Representative in the Hierarchy of the solar energy of love-wisdom. It is a form of peculiar, magnetic energy of which mankind today knows little; nevertheless, upon this energy much speculation has been permitted and many false thoughtforms have been built. It is a dangerous energy because of its exceeding potency and also because this inflowing energy has to use the vehicle of the substance of the three lower worlds, and its area of influence is on the three lower planes of human existence. This at first necessarily produces conflict, and its first major conflict is now impending. I have dealt with this conflict elsewhere when discussing with you the fourth Ray of Harmony through Conflict. [xv]* The use of this second fundamental energy (which is the primary energy of our present solar system, focussing  upon our planetary life) presents to Christ Himself a great test of His skill in action; its use constitutes the major test or task which faces Him when He reappears and has the responsibility of releasing its potencies on earth. The task of all disciples is consequently to promote wisdom, and this they must learn to do under the influence of the Buddha. He taught the primary lesson of mental discrimination and detachment—two basic qualities which must be called into activity during this amazing preparatory period with which all aspirants are today confronted.
These are, therefore, the points which all groups of disciples and spiritual workers must learn to present to seeking humanity. They concern the creating and the vitalising of the new world religion. This theme lies at the root of all that is new: discrimination between the mental approach and the soul approach, thus learning that true detachment which was symbolically but erroneously applied by all monastic orders throughout the world (both occidental and oriental) during the past few centuries, applied therefore in time and space but having no relation to the inner spiritual import. The true monastic spirit and discipline will emerge later in the historical processes of humanity.
6. The energy of the first divine aspect (that of will or power) now being applied with the most scrupulous care by Shamballa. This energy of the will is—as you have been taught—the potency of the life in all beings; it has in the past only been permitted to make contact with "the substance of humanity" via the Hierarchy. Lately, direct impact has been permitted experimentally and of this the world war (1914-1945) was the first evidence, clarifying issues, presenting opportunity, purifying human thinking and destroying the old and worn-out civilisation. It is an exceedingly dangerous energy and cannot be applied in fuller measure until the race of men has learned to respond more adequately to the energy of the second aspect of love-wisdom, and therefore to the rule of the Kingdom of God.
7. There remains another energy which can only be applied very much later on and only if the activity of the six preceding energies fulfil their purpose. With it we cannot here deal, for the future is too uncertain, and in any case, it will only come into activity in the middle of the Aquarian Age.
These energies, along with the five specialised energies referred to in my June (1948) Full Moon Message will swing into great activity as the years slip away. The year 1952 will see the five specialised energies assuming great potency.
I would again call your attention to the fact that the evocative power of the Great Invocation (now used by so many hundreds of thousands) and the sound of its mantric rhythm is increasingly responsible for this work; a great deal of the resultant effectiveness is due to the fact that humanity is using this mantram in steadily increasing numbers, and this—combined with its scientific use by the Hierarchy—is very fruitful in results. It is well here to bear in mind that (to quote an old sentence by one of the Masters) "where the focus is, so will be the anchorage where descending potencies under mantric inspiration are concerned." This means that, due to the effort of countless thousands of men and women everywhere, energies hitherto unable to penetrate deeper into substance than the hierarchical substance and the levels of the higher mental plane can now, for the first time, be successfully anchored on dense physical levels or at least upon etheric levels. This is a fact and is far more important than you are perhaps able to appreciate.
I have earlier told you that the five Masters concerned with the initial stages of the organisation of the Hierarchy on earth are the Master K.H., the Master Morya, the Master R., the Master Who started the labour movement in the modern world, and myself, the so-called Master D.K.
The division of labour is here of great interest. In my June message for 1948, I referred to the five specialised energies which were at that time released to carry forward their  impersonal task. Each of these energies is concerned with the desired organisation, for it must ever be remembered that though the organisation which we are considering is concerned with the interior or subjective work of the Hierarchy, the repercussions and the resultant effects will take place on earth, with physical plane effects, because the old occult truism "as above, so below" will be rapidly and objectively demonstrated. This result and the effects produced will constitute one of the modes whereby the Hierarchy will prove its factual presence on earth.
The Ashram of the Master K.H. is already assuming an increased stimulating potency, but it will nevertheless be one of the last to manifest objectively on the physical plane. The mission of that Ashram is to produce the energy which will make possible and definite the reappearance of the Christ. That reappearance is the major preoccupation of the Master K.H. and His group of initiates and disciples. The first step taken by the Ashram was embodied—as far as all of you are concerned—in the pamphlet entitled The Reappearance of the Christ (Wesak Message, May 1947). To this must be added the vitalisation and the stimulation of the two-thousand-year-old thoughtform which men, down the centuries, have created in anticipation of His coming or advent. The movement toward expectancy and preparation is now rapidly gaining momentum. This was the first concrete result of the combined desire of this second ray Ashram. However, the work being done in this Ashram is more definitely concerned with three lines of activity. These are:
1. The preparation of the many combined Ashrams, leading to externalisation.
2. The formulation of the techniques and disciplines which will be of service to the initiate or disciple who is making the primary effort to function objectively, to work before the screen of life and not behind the scenes, as hitherto, and to develop that  "resistant capacity" which is needed to withstand the violent impacts of physical plane living.
3. The mental and spiritual registration of the plans of the Christ, and the consequent development of that skill in action which will permit these plans to materialise correctly.
Within the second ray Ashram of the Master K.H. and His affiliated groups (such as the Ashram for which I am responsible) it is the energy of wisdom which is being effectively used. It might be said that this dual energy, hitherto a fused and blended energy, is today working as a true duality. The energy of wisdom is active within all the Ashrams (on all rays and under all the Masters); the energy of love is directed primarily towards the third great planetary centre, Humanity, stimulating the aura of that mass of living units so that their "magnetic appeal will be the outstanding quality of their divine approach." The directing Agents for this dual activity are the Master K.H. and a chosen group of His senior initiates and disciples, of whom I am not one, because I have another task committed to me.
The Master K.H. is therefore constantly in close association with the Christ, the Head of the Hierarchy. Christ is today, with the aid of the Lord of the World and the Buddha, preparing Himself for the most difficult task with which He has ever been confronted. It is not a matter of the Christ issuing forth from the High Place where He is today to be found, and suddenly appearing among men; it is not a case of His taking infant form and growing into His work with advancing years; it is not a case of His being instantly recognised and acclaimed by millions of miserable human beings awaiting liberation. None of these ideas or hopes form any part of His plan, nor are they possible. No Member of the Hierarchy, and certainly not its Supreme Head, attempts to bring about results which are doomed to failure; presented thus, they would be bound to fail, because the point of sensitivity of humanity makes  failure inevitable—if success is expected along these most ordinary lines.
Skill in action, wise and understanding judgment, the adaptation of present affairs to the desired future, the coordination of the work to be done, and the clear enunciation of the platform upon which the new teaching must be founded, plus the survey (if I may so express it) of the foundations upon which the new structure of the coming civilisation must be founded—it is with these things that the Christ is at this time concerned. You can realise, therefore, the tremendous and cooperative activity with which the Master K.H. and His Ashram are concerned. The stimulation of that activity comes from two directions: necessarily from Shamballa, from the Buddha and from the Avatar of Synthesis, and increasingly from the world of men, as expectancy, hope and demand combine to make their united appeal.
The Ashram or group centre through which the Master Morya works is also exceedingly busy. It is obvious to you that as this is a first ray Ashram, the energy coming from the Avatar of Synthesis will make its primary impact upon this Ashram, which provides the line of least resistance. There, it is scientifically stepped down or broken down, prior to distribution to the Ashrams of the five Masters engaged in the work of preparation.
The highest aspect possible of assimilation by the Hierarchy is directed by the Masters towards the Christ and is used by Him in His individual and planned preparatory work. Though He demonstrated when here before that His mission or work had a group or brotherhood objective, it is well known in hierarchical circles that first ray synthesis is something higher still than unity, and that even the Christ has somewhat to grasp anent this new potency—coming both from Shamballa or from the Father (as the Christ used to call that emanating source), and also from extra-planetary sources. Above all, He has the difficult task of training or adapting His physical vehicle so that it can assimilate this extra-ordinary high potency and, at the same time, keep it  in a condition in which He can move outward on the physical plane among men.
The Christian Church has laid so much emphasis on Christ's unique position as the one and only Son of God that great error has crept in and has been fostered for centuries; Christ Himself foresaw the possibility of this error and tried to offset it by pointing out that we are all the "Sons of God" and that "greater things than I do shall you do"—a statement which no commentators have ever understood or adequately explained. The occult fact is that there is no being on Earth, from the very lowest form of life to the very highest, who is not moving onward towards a greater and finer expression of divinity, and Christ Himself is no exception to this universal evolutionary law. He is therefore, at this time and because He is preparing to raise the entire human family nearer to God, laying Himself open to certain powerful inflowing energies, absorbing into Himself streams of spiritual force, and undergoing a dynamic stimulation which is entirely new to Him; this constitutes His testing for the exalted initiation which now confronts Him; it constitutes also the sacrifice He is making in order to complete His work on Earth and bring a new salvation to humanity.
The Christ is working, therefore, in very close cooperation with the Master Morya, and also with the Manu (one of the three Heads of the Hierarchy), and these three—the Christ, the Manu and the Master Morya—create a triangle of energies into which (and through which) the energy of the Avatar of Synthesis can pour, finding right direction under Their combined efforts.
On the physical plane, the initiates and the disciples working in the Ashram of the Master Morya are primarily occupied with the expression of synthesis in the world of politics and of government, and with offsetting wrong approaches to synthesis, seeking to preserve freedom in unity. It is a subjective synthesis for which they work—a synthesis which will express itself in an outer differentiation. This synthesis will define the many aspects of the essential, basic  unity which, working out under the stimulation of the energy of synthesis, will bring about eventual peace and understanding on earth—a peace which will preserve individual and national cultures, but which will subordinate them to the good of the whole of humanity.
We come now to the preparatory work being done by the Master Who started what is called by you "the labour movement." This is regarded by the Hierarchy as one of the most successful attempts in all history to awaken the masses of men (in the brackets called middle class and lower class) to general betterment, and thus set up a momentum which would, occultly speaking, "swing them into light."
Along with the development of the labour movement, mass education came into being, with the result that—from the angle of developed intelligence—the entire level of conscious awareness was universally raised. There is still much illiteracy, but the average citizen in all the western democracies and in the Soviet Union is as well educated as the intellectual man in the Middle Ages. You have, in this activity, an outstanding instance of how the Masters work, for (to the average onlooker) the labour movement arose from within the masses and the working classes; it was a spontaneous development, based upon the thinking and the teaching of a mere handful of men who were regarded primarily as agitators and trouble makers; they were in reality a group of disciples (many of them unconscious of their esoteric status) who were cooperating with the Law of Evolution and also with the hierarchical Plan. They were not particularly advanced disciples, but they were affiliated with some Ashram (according to their ray), and were therefore subject to impression. Had they been advanced disciples or initiates, their work would have been futile, for their presentation of the Plan would not have been adapted to the level of the intelligence of the then totally uneducated masses composing labour.