In an inspiring address to the UN Economic and Social Council in New York, new UN Deputy Secretary-General, Ms Amina J. Mohammed, spoke of the transformational vision at the heart of the SDG's as a 'once-in-a-generation opportunity to deliver a better future for all'. She acknowledged that:
- The prosperity and benefits of globalization have not been equitably shared.
- Half the planet’s wealth is controlled by a handful of rich men.
- Some 200 million people are still jobless.
- Many more are underemployed, working several jobs to make ends meet, or toiling under abusive conditions.
- Gender discrimination continues to limit the opportunities and potential of our women and girls in all countries.
- Anxiety is mounting as societies cope with climate change, urbanization, population growth, water scarcity and massive movements of people.
- Fear and mistrust are increasingly driving political discourse.
In this context she affirmed the Secretary-General's commitment to fast-track transformation ... The 2030 Agenda requires that we reinvent ourselves to better service Member States.
Ms Amina J. Mohammed was,until recently, Minister of Environment in the Nigerian Government, and prior to this Special Adviser to Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Post-2015 Development Planning.More...