Humanity is today more sensitive to ideas than ever before, and hence the many warring ideologies and hence the fact that — in defence of their plans — even the most recalcitrant of the nations has to discover some idealistic excuse to put before the other nations when occupied with any infringement of recognised law. This is a fact of great significance to the Hierarchy for it indicates a point reached. The major ideas in the world today fall into five categories which it would be well for you to bear in mind:
1. The ancient and inherited ideas which have controlled the racial life for centuries — aggression for the sake of possession and the authority of a man or a group or a church which represents the State. For purposes of policy such powers may work behind the scenes but their tenets and motives are easily recognisable — selfish ambition and a violently imposed authority.
2. Those ideas which are relatively new such as Nazism, Fascism, and Communism, though they are not really as new as people are apt to think. They are alike on one important point, i.e. The State or community of human beings counts as of importance whilst the individual does not; he can be sacrificed at any time for the good of the State or for the so-called general good.
3. The idea, neither old nor particularly new, of democracy in which (supposedly but as yet never factually) the people govern and the government represents the will of the people.
4. The idea of a world state, divided into various great sections. This is the dream of the inclusively-minded few, for which many regard humanity as yet unready. Towards this the entire world is headed in spite of its many ideologies, each fighting with each other for supremacy and oblivious of the important fact that all these ideologies may be temporarily adapted to the groups or nations who adopt them. They are none of them suitable for general use (and I say this equally of democracy as of any other ideology); they suit well in all probability the nations who accept them and mould their national life on their premises; they are only transitory substitutes in this transition period between the Piscean and the Aquarian ages and cannot permanently last. Nothing as yet is permanent. When permanency is reached, evolution will cease and God's plan will be consummated. And then? The greatest revelation of all will come at the close of this world period when the human mind, intuition and soul consciousness is such that understanding will be possible.
5. The idea of a spiritual Hierarchy which will govern the people throughout the world and will embody in itself the best elements of the monarchial, the democratic, the totalitarian and the communistic regimes. Most of these groups of ideologies have latent in them much beauty, strength and wisdom, and also a profound and valuable contribution to make to the whole. Each will eventually see its contribution embodied under the control of the Hierarchy of the Lords of Compassion and the Masters of the Wisdom. The restoration of the ancient Atlantean control by the spiritual forces is still in the future but the Aquarian Age will see the restitution of this inner and spiritual guidance on a higher turn of the spiral.
(The Destiny of the Nations, pp.8-10)