SECTION TWO - THE CAUSES OF GLAMOUR - Part 3
Such are the forces of maya which actuate, motivate and energise the life of the ordinary man. Under their influence he is helpless for they inspire all his thinking, all his aspiration and his desire, and all his activity on the physical plane. His problem is twofold:
1. To bring all his centres under the inspiration of the soul.
2. To transfer or transmute the forces of the lower centres, which control the personality, into the energies of the centres above the diaphragm, which respond automatically to the inspiration of the soul.
It is in this thought that the potency and the symbolic value of breathing exercises consists. The motive is soul control, and though the methods employed are (in many cases) definitely undesirable yet the developing tendency of the life thought will prove inevitably determining and conditioning. The methods used may not save the unprepared physical body from certain evil and disastrous results yet, in the long run and in the last analysis, they may condition the future experience (probably in another life) in such a manner that the aspirant will find himself more able to function as a soul than might otherwise have been the case.
Before I close this particular instruction upon glamour, I would like to call the attention of the group to the occult sentences which I gave to D.L.R. prior to his leaving the group. They have a definite relation to the group work and I would like you to give them careful consideration and study. The Old Commentary, in speaking of the work of those whose dharma it is to dissipate world glamour, uses the following illuminating sentences:
"They come and stand. Within the midst of whirling forms—some of beauty rare and some of  horror and despair—they stand. They look not here or there but, with their faces turned towards the light, they stand. Thus through their minds the pure light streams to dissipate the fogs.
"They come and rest. They cease their outer labours, pausing to do a different work. Within their hearts is rest. They run not here and there, but constitute a point of peace and rest. That which upon the surface veils and hides the real begins to disappear and from the heart at rest a beam of dissipating force projects, blends with the shining light and then the mists of man's creation disappear.
"They come and they observe. They own the eye of vision; likewise they own the right direction of the needed force. They see the glamour of the world, and seeing, they note behind it all the true, the beautiful, the real. Thus through the eye of Buddhi comes the power to drive away the veiling, swirling glamours of that glamorous world.
"They stand, they rest, and they observe. Such are their lives and such the service that they render to the souls of men."
I would commend these lines to your careful thought. They convey to you not only the field of your group service but also the desired attitude of the personal life of every member of the group.
I would also like, at this point, to touch upon a factor of real importance in this work and to repeat my earlier warning: Will you remember that the effort to free yourselves from irritation or from what is called in Agni Yoga "imperil" (a peculiar yet satisfying word, my brothers) is particularly essential for this group? Irritation is exceedingly prevalent these days of nervous tension and it most  definitely imperils progress and retards the steps of the disciple upon the Way. It can produce dangerous group tension if present in any of you, and this induced group tension can interfere with the free play of the power and light which you are supposed to use, even when the other group members remain unconscious of the emanating source. Irritation definitely generates a poison which locates itself in the region of the stomach and of the solar plexus. Irritation is a disease, if I might use that word, of the solar plexus centre and it is definitely contagious to an almost alarming extent. So, my brothers, watch yourselves with care and remember that just in so far as you can live in the head and in the heart, you will end the disease of imperil and aid in the transference of the forces of the solar plexus into the heart centre.
d. The Contrast between the Dweller and its opposite, the Angel of the Presence.
The entire subject of the Dweller and its relation to the Angel (a symbolic way of dealing with a great relationship and possibility, and a great fact in manifestation) is only now possible of consideration. Only when man is an integrated personality does the problem of the Dweller truly arise, and only when the mind is alert and the intelligence organised (as is becoming the case today on a fairly large scale) is it possible for man to sense—intelligently and not just mystically—the Angel and so intuit the PRESENCE. Only then does the entire question of hindrances which the Dweller embodies, and the limitations which it provides to spiritual contact and realisation assume potent proportions. Only then can they be usefully considered and steps taken to induce right action. Only when there is adequate fusion within humanity as a whole does  the great human Dweller on the Threshold appear as an integrated entity, or the Dweller in a national or racial sense makes its appearance, spreading and vitalising national, racial and planetary glamour, fostering and feeding individual glamours and making the entire problem unmistakably apparent. Only then can the relation between the soul of humanity and the generated forces of its ancient and potent personality assume proportions which call for drastic activity and intelligent cooperation.
Such a time has now come, and in the two books, The Problems of Humanity and The Reappearance of the Christ, and also in the Wesak and June Full Moon messages, I have dealt with this most practical and urgent situation, which is in itself the guarantee of human progress toward its destined goal as well as the assertion of its major hindrances to spiritual realisation. The sections on which we shall now be engaged are of prime importance to all who are in training for initiation. I said "in training," my brothers; I did not say that you would take initiation in this life. I know not myself whether you will or no; the issue lies in your hands and in your planned destiny—planned by your souls. Your problem is essentially that of learning to handle the Dweller on the Threshold and of ascertaining the procedures and the processes whereby the momentous activity of fusion can take place. Through the medium of this fusion the Dweller "disappears and is no more seen, though still he functions on the outer plane, the agent of the Angel; the light absorbs the Dweller, and into obscuration—radiant yet magnetic—this ancient form of life dissolves though keeping still its form; it rests and works but is not now itself." Such are the paradoxical statements of the Old Commentary.
I have earlier defined for you in as simple terms as possible the nature of the Dweller. I would like, however,  to enlarge upon one or two points and give one or two new suggestions which—for the sake of clarity and for your more rapid comprehension—we will tabulate as follows:
1. The Dweller on the Threshold is essentially the personality; it is an integrated unity composed of physical forces, vital energy, astral forces and mental energies, constituting the sum total of the lower nature.
2. The Dweller takes form when a re-orientation of man's life has taken place consciously and under soul impression; the whole personality is then theoretically directed towards liberation into service. The problem is to make the theory and the aspiration facts in experience.
3. For a great length of time the forces of the personality do not constitute a Dweller. The man is not on the threshold of divinity; he is not consciously aware of the Angel. His forces are inchoate; he works unconsciously in his environment, the victim of circumstance and of his own nature apparently and under the lure and the urge of desire for physical plane activity and existence. When, however, the life of the man is ruled from the mental plane, plus desire or ambition, and he is controlled at least to some large extent by mental influence, then the Dweller begins to take shape as a unified force.
4. The stages wherein the Dweller on the Threshold is recognised, subjected to a discriminating discipline and finally controlled and mastered, are mainly three:
a. The stage wherein the personality dominates and rules the life and ambitions and the goals of man's life-endeavour. The Dweller then controls.
b. The stage of a growing cleavage in the consciousness  of the disciple. The Dweller or the personality is then urged in two directions: one, towards the pursuit of personal ambitions and desires in the three worlds; the other, in which the effort is made by the Dweller (note this statement) to take a stand upon the threshold of divinity and before the Portal of Initiation.
c. The stage wherein the Dweller consciously seeks the cooperation of the soul and, though still in itself essentially constituting a barrier to spiritual progress, is more and more influenced by the soul than by its lower nature.
5. When the final stage is reached (and many are now reaching it today) the disciple strives with more or less success to steady the Dweller (by learning to "hold the mind steady in the light" and thus controlling the lower nature). In this way the constant fluid changefulness of the Dweller is gradually overcome; its orientation towards reality and away from the Great Illusion is made effective, and the Angel and the Dweller are slowly brought into a close rapport.
6. In the earlier stages of effort and of attempted control, the Dweller is positive and the Soul is negative in their effects in the three worlds of human endeavour. Then there is a period of oscillation, leading to a life of equilibrium wherein neither aspect appears to dominate; after that the balance changes and the personality steadily becomes negative and the soul or psyche becomes dominant and positive.
7. The astrological influences can potently affect these situations and—speaking generally and within certain esoteric limits—it might be noted that:
a. Leo............. controls the positive Dweller.
b. Gemini....... controls the processes of oscillation.
c. Sagittarius.. controls the negative Dweller.
It might be added that the three signs—Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn—lead finally to the fusion of the Dweller and the Angel.
8. The soul ray controls and conditions the activity of the Angel and its type of influence upon the Dweller. It affects karma, times and seasons.
9. The personality ray controls the Dweller in all the earlier states and up to the time when the soul ray begins steadily to produce a growing effect. This personality ray is, as you know, a combination of three energies which produce the fourth or personality ray, through the medium of their inter-relation over a vast period of time.
10. Therefore, the five types of energy which I indicated to you as of importance in your own lives when I gave you indications as to the nature of your five controlling rays, govern also the relation between the Dweller and the Angel, both in the individual and in humanity as a whole. These five are the rays of the physical body, the astral ray, the mind ray, the personality ray and the soul ray.
11. The rays which govern humanity and which condition humanity and the present world problem are as follows:
a. The Soul ray................. 2nd........... humanity must express love.
b. The personality ray....... 3rd............ developing intelligence for
transmutation into love-wisdom.
c. Mind ray....................... 5th............ scientific achievement.
d. Astral ray..................... 6th............ idealistic development.
e. Physical ray.................. 7th............ organisation. Business.
The soul ray controls for an entire life period. The personality rays given above are for the Piscean Age which is now beginning to pass out; but these have definitely and irrevocably conditioned humanity.
You will note also that the first Ray of Will or Power is missing as is the fourth Ray of Harmony through Conflict. This fourth ray is always active as it controls in a peculiar manner the fourth creative Hierarchy and might be regarded as forming the basic personality ray of the fourth creative Hierarchy. The one given above is a transient and fleeting personality ray of a minor incarnation.
12. In the Aquarian Age which is rapidly coming, the Dweller will present slightly different personality forces:
a. Personality ray.............. 5th............ basic and determining.
b. Mind ray...................... 4th............ the creative effect.
c. Astral ray...................... 6th............ conditioning incentives.
d. Physical ray.................. 7th............ incoming ray.
13. Each great cycle in the zodiac is in the nature of an incarnation of the human family, and each great race is a somewhat similar happening; the latter is, however, of more importance where the human understanding and consciousness is concerned. The analogy is to the few important incarnations in the life of the soul in contra-distinction to the many unimportant and rapidly succeeding incarnations. Of the important incarnations there are three which are of major import: the Lemurian, the Atlantean, and the Aryan races.
14. Each race produced its own type of Dweller on the Threshold who was faced at the close of the spiritual cycle (not the physical which goes on to crystallisation)  when maturity was achieved and a certain initiation became possible for its advanced humanity.
15. When a racial incarnation and a zodiacal cycle synchronise (which is not always the case) then there comes a significant and important focussing of the attention of the Dweller on the Angel and vice versa. This is taking place at this time at the close of the Piscean era and when the Aryan race has reached maturity and a relatively high water mark of development. Discipleship is significant of maturity, and it is with mature development that the Dweller is met. The Aryan race is ready for discipleship.
16. The development of sensitivity in the individual and in the race indicates the imminence of the recognition of the Angel from both angles of vision and the immediacy of the opportunity. This opportunity for active fusion has never been so true as now.
17. The lines of demarcation as existing between the recognised areas of influence between the Dweller and the Angel are clearer than ever before in the history of the race. Man knows the difference between right and wrong and must now choose the way that he shall go. In the Atlantean racial crisis (which was also a complete human crisis), the history of which is perpetuated for us in the Bhagavad Gita, Arjuna—symbol of the then disciple and the world disciple—was frankly bewildered. This is not so true now. The disciples of the world and the world disciple do see the issues today relatively quite clearly. Will expediency win or will the Dweller be sacrificed with love and understanding to the Angel? This is the major problem.
I will ask you, my brother, to do two things: study the above ideas in the light of the present world crisis, and in the light of your own soul-personality problem.
Advanced humanity stands, as the Dweller, on the very threshold of divinity. The Angel stands expectant—absorbed in the PRESENCE yet ready to absorb the Dweller. Humanity has advanced in consciousness to the very boundaries of the world of spiritual values and the kingdom of Light and of God. The Angel has "come to Earth" in expectation of recognition—an event of which the advent of Christ two thousand years ago was the symbol and the precursor. This is the situation where all advanced aspirants are concerned. It can be yours. It is the situation also where humanity as a whole is concerned and the approaching Hierarchy. The consciousness of humanity from the higher and spiritual standpoint functions today through the steadily growing band of world servers, world aspirants and world disciples, and their name is Legion.
Humanity today is the Dweller whilst the Hierarchy of Souls is the Angel and behind stands the PRESENCE of Divinity Itself, intuited by the Hierarchy and dimly sensed by humanity but providing in this manner that threefold synthesis which is divine manifestation in form.
All these three have powerful emanations (though the emanation of the PRESENCE via Shamballa has been wisely held in leash since the human race came into being). They all have auras, if you care so to call them, and in the three worlds at present that of the Dweller is still the most powerful, just as in the life of the aspirant, his personality is as yet the dominant predisposing factor. It is this powerful human emanation which constitutes the major glamour in the life of humanity and of the individual disciple. It is a synthesis of glamour, fused and blended by the personality ray but precipitated by the effect of the steadily influencing soul ray. It  is the shadow or distortion of reality, now sensed for the first time on a large scale by the race of men and thrown into high relief by the light which shines from the Angel, the transmitter of energy from the PRESENCE.
And so they stand—Humanity and the Hierarchy. And so you stand, my brother, personality and soul, with freedom to go forward into the light if you so determine or to remain static and unprogressive, learning nothing and getting nowhere; you are equally free to return to identification with the Dweller, negating thus the influence of the Angel, refusing imminent opportunity and postponing—until a much later cycle—your determining choice. This is true of you and of Humanity as a whole. Will humanity's third ray materialistic personality dominate the present situation or will its soul of love prove the most powerful factor, taking hold of the personality and its little issues, leading it to discriminate rightly and to recognise the true values and thus bring in the age of soul or hierarchical control? Time alone will show.
I will give you no more today. I am anxious for these few essential statements to be mastered by all of you, prior to our taking up Section III. I am anxious too for the general group instructions, which you have lately received, to take much of your time, interest and attention. Inner group adjustments and more firmly established group relations are urgently needed and upon these I ask you to work. I would remind you here also that—as in all else in manifestation—there is a group personality and a group soul; you must learn clearly to distinguish between the two and to throw the entire weight of your influence, desire and pressure on the side of the Group Angel. In this way there might occur that stupendous recognition for which all initiation prepares the applicant—the revelation of the PRESENCE.