SECTION THREE - FORCES BEHIND THE EVOLUTIONARY PROGRESS OF THE RACE - Part 1
FORCES BEHIND THE EVOLUTIONARY PROGRESS OF THE RACE
THE DOCTRINE OF AVATARS
As we enter the momentous month of May this year, I have asked myself if there is any way in which I can arouse the world aspirants and my disciples to a truer appreciation of the immanent significance of the presented opportunity, and also if there is any way in which I can simplify and make more real to you the Doctrine of the Coming One—linked as it is to the teaching of every great religion. In all of them, the idea of a subjective, spiritual Order, concerned with the developing welfare of humanity, is to be found.
This is an age of culminations. Such culminations appear today in the field of religion as well as in the field of science and politics. All the great lines of human approach to reality and to truth are passing out of the realm of the tangible and exoteric, into that of the intangible and esoteric. Science is rapidly becoming the science of the unseen and of the unprovable; religion has emerged from the realm of the mystical into the clearer atmosphere of the occult, and must now emphasise the reality of the unseen as the efficient cause of the seen; politics and governments are engaged with processes of thought and ideologies.
What then is the true inner structure of reality which will provide the needed strength for humanity at this time, thus sufficing to satisfy man's demand for truth and prove adequate to answer his ceaseless yet intelligent questions?
I would assert here that the great and satisfying reply  to all human questioning and human need is to be found in the doctrine of Avatars, and in the continuity of divine Revelations. This is the persistent belief—ineradicable and unalterable—that (at major moments of world need) God reveals Himself through Appearances, through a Coming One. This doctrine is found in all the basic world religions, in every time and age; it appears in the doctrine of the Avatars of the Hindu faith, in the teaching of the return of Maitreya Buddha or the Kalki Avatar, in the belief in the Western world in the return of Christ and His Advent or second Coming, and in the prophesied issuing forth of the divine Adventurer of the Moslem world. All this is tied up with the undying belief of mankind in the loving Heart of God, Who ever meets man's need. The witness of history is that always the appearance of man's necessity has been met with a divine Revelation.
The reason for this faith, innate in the human heart, is to be found in the fact of the nature of Deity itself. The Christian statement that "God is Love" is founded on that deepest, recognised, spiritual fact. The expression of this divine characteristic can be summed up in the words from The Voice of the Silence:
"Compassion is no attribute. It is the Law of Laws—eternal Harmony, Alaya's Self; a shoreless, universal essence, the light of everlasting right and fitness of things, the law of love eternal."
To this everlasting Compassion the cyclic appearance of the Sun Gods of the ancient myths, the World Saviours and the Avatars bear witness and are the guarantee.
The Wesak Festival
At the time of this Wesak Festival, I would call your attention to the fact that the annual return of the Buddha to bless His people everywhere and to convey the message of wisdom, light and love to humanity—coming as He does  from the very Heart of Deity Itself—is the outer evidence and guarantee of inner divine guidance and revelation in this present world cycle of 2500 years. Year by year He returns. For a brief minute He reminds us that God exists and ever loves; that He is not unmindful of His people; that the heart of the universe is unalterable compassion, and that man is not alone. To bring this recognition about and to make this appearance possible, a living Triangle of Energy is created and focussed through three great spiritual Individuals, Who evoke recognition both in the East and in the West. They are known to believers of every faith and all nationalities. These Three are:
1. The Lord of the World, the Ancient of Days, Sanat Kumara, the planetary Logos, Melchizedek, He to Whom Christ referred when He said, "I and My Father are One."
2. The Buddha, the Illumined One, the Revealer of the light and the wisdom which come to us from sources far greater than our planetary Life, a Messenger of the Gods.
3. The Christ, the Son of the Father, the World Saviour, the Redeemer. He Who has remained with us and Who is gathering His sheep into His fold, the Lord of Love.
In these Three, Whose nature is radiant love and light, humanity can grasp in some measure the nature of divinity. They are greater than is known or realised; human intelligence and aspiration can only sense Their essential nature; Their spiritual potency has to be stepped down if mankind is to bear the pressure of the impact of the energy They wield and seek to transmit. It is this stepping down process which takes place at the time of the May Full Moon, and it is brought to a "focus of transmission" by the massed intent of the Hierarchy and the massed demand of the world aspirants and disciples—itself drawn forth by the massed need of the people of all lands.
Here, my brothers, is a simple statement of the facts which must be grasped by all of you who seek to participate intelligently in the Wesak Festival and who are anxious to act as transmitters of the spiritual energy which will, at that time, be poured out to suffering humanity. This Wesak Festival in 1941 can prove to be a "Changer of Conditions" and a major turning point in the life of mankind if every spiritually minded person can bring himself to the needed point of selflessness, disciplined purity and resultant receptivity.
There are certain fundamental truths which lie behind all revealed religions. They are essential to the spiritual growth and the progressive realisations of divinity by man. All else found under the term "doctrine" and allied phrased are but expansions of these fundamentals, explanatory in nature, expressive of human interpretations, and formulations of evolutionary recognitions. These are mainly additions and are in the nature of adornment, speculation and prediction; they are constantly subject to change, to rejection or development as man's intellect and spiritual perception unfolds; they are not basic or unalterable. It is the unalterable truths which must be discovered and recognised as the new world religion takes form on Earth and conditions human thought and consciousness in the coming New Age.
The Basic Truths To Date
These basic truths never change because they are related to the nature of Deity Itself and have become apparent to mankind through revelation, as evolution has proceeded and man has developed the needed perceptive faculties and the required persistence of search, plus the unfolding of the inner light of the soul. These truths, inherent in the divine nature, reveal the soul of God. They are:
1. The Law of Compassion. This is the truth of right relationship, of loving understanding, of actively expressed Love. It is the foundation of brotherhood and the expression of the inner unity.
2. The Fact of God. This is the truth that Being is God Immanent and God Transcendent; it involves the recognition of the great Whole and the related part; it is the knowledge of divinity, ascertained through right relationship and identity of origin. It is the revelation of the life of God, pervading all that is (God Immanent), and of that same life, providing that still greater cosmic relation (God Transcendent) which is the final guarantee of all progress and of progressive revelation. `Having pervaded this whole universe with a fragment of Myself, I remain' is the challenge of Deity and the eternal hope of humanity. This is the answer of Life Itself to the demands of humanity, to the enquiries of science and to the whole world problem. God is here, present among us and in all forms of expression; He includes, pervades and remains beyond. He is greater than all appearance. He reveals Himself progressively and cyclically as man gets ready for further knowledge.
3. The Continuity of Revelation. Ever down the ages and at each human crisis, always in the hours of necessity, at the founding of a new race, or in the awakening of a prepared humanity to a new and wider vision, the Heart of God—impelled by the law of compassion—sends forth a Teacher, a World Saviour, an Illuminator, an Avatar. He gives the message which will heal, which will indicate the next step to be taken by the race, which will illumine a dark world problem and give to man an expression of a hitherto unrealised aspect of divinity. Upon this fact of the continuity of revelation and upon the sequence of this progressive manifestation of the divine nature is based the doctrine of Avatars, of divine Messengers, divine Appearances, and inspired Prophets. To all these history unmistakably testifies.
4. The Inevitable Response of Humanity. I have expressed in these simple words the instinctive spiritual reaction of man and of the undying human spirit to the three above foundational truths. This divine spirit in humanity must ever, and most surely does, respond to the divine Appearance. The witness to this is sure and proved. There is that in  mankind which is akin to God and which recognises its own when it appears. Such is the unshakable reality in the human heart, and recognition is the inevitable reward and result of revelation.
5. Progress. The reaction of the individual man and of the masses of men to the continuity of revelation—historically proved—cannot be denied. It is the basic fact of religion. The types of that revelation may vary but each new revelation—given in response to human need and demand—has ever led humanity onward towards a steadily brightening goal and a greater glory. The revelation may come on varying levels of the human consciousness. It may be the revelation of new lands to conquer, terrestrial or mental. Some person pointed the way. It may be the recognition of new laws and facts in nature, scientifically grasped and used; it may be the response of intelligent man to increased knowledge, producing a new type of civilisation. Some liberated spirit pointed the way. It may be the response of the human heart to the Heart of God, leading to the mystical beatitude, and to the recognition of spiritual Being. It may be the reaction of man to some new teaching, some further unfoldment, resulting in a new and enriched religious approach to the centre of life. Some Messenger pointed the way. But always it has meant progress, a moving forward, a rejection of some existing limitation, a repudiating of the undesirable and the evil. Always it involves the recognition of the possible, the ideal and the divine.
6. Transcendence. This means the innate capacity to pass beyond so-called natural law. This surmounting of limitation is ever taking place and this process of transcendence will call forth increasing recognition. It marks the next major phase in the manifestation of divinity in man; it signifies domination over physical law and humanity's imminent triumph over the forces which have for so long held him to earth. Of this transcendence the present mastery over the air is the symbol. Man is rapidly mastering the four elements. He cultivates the earth; he rides the waters; he  controls the electrical fires of the planet, and he flies triumphant through the air. The question now emerges: What, my brothers, next? Another transcendence lies ahead. It is one of the things which the coming Avatar will reveal.
With the lesser leaders, whom the human spirit evokes to its assistance, I shall not deal. I seek to unfold somewhat the Doctrine of Divine Messengers, of Avatars. From whence come They? What is Their nature? Who are They and what is Their relation to humanity, to the Hierarchy and to still greater groups of Lives? These are questions which normally arise and need clear answering.
An Avatar is a Being Who—having first developed His Own nature, human and divine, and then transcended it—is capable of reflecting some cosmic Principle or divine quality and energy which will produce the desired effect upon humanity, evoking a reaction, producing a needed stimulation and, as it is esoterically called, `leading to the rending of a veil and the permeation of light.' This energy may be generated within the human family and focussed in a responsive Messenger; it may be generated within the planet itself and produce a planetary Avatar; it may be the expression of the life impulse and energy of the solar system, or of sources outside the solar system and therefore cosmic. But always it is focussed through a manifesting Entity, is called forth by a demand or massed appeal, and evokes response and consequent changes in the life activity, the culture and the civilisation of mankind.
The response or reaction of humanity to the divine Messenger establishes in due time the recognition of something transcendent, something to be desired and striven for, something which indicates a vision which is first a possibility and later an achievement. This is the historically proven process and testifies eventually to a fact. This new fact, when added to the facts established by other and earlier Avatars, enriches the spiritual content of the human consciousness, enhances the spiritual life of the race, and stimulates man to move a step forward into the world of reality  and out of the world of illusion. Each revelation brings him nearer to the world of causes.
At the present time, the Avatars most easily recognised and known are the Buddha and the Christ, because Their messages are familiar to all and the fruits of Their lives and words have conditioned the thinking and the civilisations of both hemispheres; because They are divine-human Avatars and represent something which humanity can more easily understand; because They are of like nature to mankind, "flesh of our flesh and spirit of our spirit." They therefore mean more to us than any other Divine Emergence. They are known, loved and followed by countless millions. I would ask you to ponder on the potency of the nucleus of force which They have set up. The establishing of a nucleus of energy, spiritually positive, is the constant task of an Avatar. He focusses or anchors a dynamic truth, a potent thoughtform or a vortex of attractive energy in the three worlds of human living. Then, as the centuries pass, that truth and the effect of Their lives and words begin steadily to condition human thinking; the established thoughtform acts increasingly as a transmitter of divine energy as it expresses a divine idea, and this in time produces a civilisation, with its accompanying culture, religions, policies, governments and educational processes. Thus is history made. History is but the record of man's cyclic reaction to some inflowing divine energy, to some Avatar or some inspired Leader.
In considering the subject of Avatars I would like to point out that (from the standpoint of mankind at his present point in evolution) Avatars are of two kinds, as might be expected when the consciousness of humanity is subject to the control of the pairs of opposites. These two are:
1. Those Avatars Who are the embodiment of the Angel of the Presence, whether that Presence is the  soul in man, the planetary Logos, some extra-planetary Entity, some Cosmic Being, or an Expression of Cosmic Good.
2. Those Avatars who are embodiments of the Dweller on the Threshold, whether that Dweller is the human Dweller on the Threshold, planetary Forces of Materialism, or some Aspect of Cosmic Evil.
Let me attempt to make this analogy a little clearer. Just as in the case of individual man there comes a point in his life experience when the Angel of the Presence is sensed, known, seen and recognised as the revealer of divinity, so in the history of the race of men, the same great illumination may come. Revelation confronts the aspirant. Revelation confronts humanity. God is known within the human heart. God is known by mankind. This recognition of divinity in its varying aspects is naturally a progressive one—each stage and each life bringing its own revelation of the beauty of divinity and the glory of light more truly and clearly before the disciple. Similarly, there come cycles wherein the Dweller on the Threshold appears and confronts the aspirant, challenging his purpose and progress and blocking the door which leads to expanded life and liberation. The Dweller challenges the freedom of the human soul. So it is also in the life of a nation, a race, and humanity as a whole.
The Angel of the Presence indicates divine possibility, reveals to the attentive disciple the next step towards liberation which must be made, and throws light upon the immediate stage of the Path to Light which must be trodden. So does the Avatar Who reveals the Lighted Way to humanity.
The Dweller on the Threshold summarises in itself the evil tendencies, the accumulated limitations and the sum total of the selfish habits and desires which are characteristic of the material nature of the disciple. The Angel of the Presence indicates the future possibility and the divine nature. So does the Avatar. The Dweller on the Threshold indicates the past with its limitations and evil habits. So  do those Avatars Who from time to time appear as the embodiments of evil and of the lower nature of mankind. And, my brother, They do appear from age to age.
Some cycles in a disciple's life present one aspect of a "confrontation" and some another. In one life he may be entirely occupied with fighting the Dweller on the Threshold or with orienting himself to the Angel of the Presence and permitting the divine conditioning energy to flow into him; he may be succumbing to the influence of the dread sum total of his evil and material desires or he may be drawing gradually nearer to the Angel. But—and this is the point of importance—it is he himself who evokes one or other of these manifestations. So it is with humanity. The call of humanity's soul, or of humanity's material nature, must evoke response, and thus an Avatar can manifest. It is the magnetic appeal or the massed intent of the disciple or of humanity which produces the manifestation. In other lives, the disciple may simply swing between the two poles of his being, with no conscious effort, no direct confrontation and no clear understanding of life purpose. So does humanity.
Eventually, however, there comes a life wherein the disciple is confronted by both the Dweller and the Angel simultaneously and the major conflict of his experience takes place. So it is today in the world. The spiritual and the material are in conflict, and humanity itself is the battleground.
Again, a correspondence to the Doctrine of Avatars can be seen in the disciple's individual life. When he has achieved right desire and has made a true effort towards correct orientation, then—when the conflict between good and evil is at its height—there comes a moment when he demands more light, more power, more understanding, and liberation to take his next forward step. When he can make this demand with firm intent and can stand steady and unafraid, response will inevitably come from the very Presence Itself. A manifestation of light and love and power will stream forth. Recognition of need has then evoked response. The conflict ceases; the Dweller departs to his  own place; the Path ahead lies clear; the disciple can move forward with assurance, and a better life dawns for him.
So it is for humanity. A demand rises to the very gates of Heaven; the massed intent of humanity is that evil must end and a better and truer life become possible. At the moment of greatest tension and of difficulty the demand goes forth. Response comes. The Avatar appears and light pours in, making the way clear. New hope awakens and fresh determinations are made. Strength to establish right relationships streams through the body of humanity, and mankind emerges into a more spacious life, conditioned by truer values. A fusion becomes possible between the outer world of daily living and the inner world of spiritual realities. A fresh influx of love and light is possible.
Today the moment of adequate tension in the life of humanity has been reached. The Angel of the Presence and the Dweller on the Threshold are at grips. Humanity stands apparently at its darkest hour. But the cry is going forth for aid, for relief, for revelation, for light, and for strength to shake off that which is evil. The massed intent of the world aspirants is directed towards the world of truer values, towards better human relations, more enlightened living and a better understanding between all men and peoples. With massed intent they stand, and their ranks are steadily increasing. With an increased focus of the will-to-good, with a clearer apprehension of future possibility, with a fixed determination that the world move forward in conformity with the divine pattern, and with an urgent cry for help, humanity stands expectant of relief. In every land there is a growing recognition that when mankind reaches the psychological point where, having done all, there is naught to do but stand, then some Expression of a divine determination to intervene will appear; there is a growing belief that human effort towards righteous action will be supplemented by the emergence of a divine Force, Person or Event which will bring the conflict to an end.
It might here be pointed out that in similar though somewhat less potent crises in the past, this divine intervention  superseded human effort, but that it is hoped by Those Who are seeking to aid humanity that such intervention will today simply supplement human effort—a very different thing.
Therefore, humanity everywhere today awaits the Coming One. The Avatar is sensed as being on His way. The second Coming (according to prophecy) is imminent, and from the lips of disciples, mystics, aspirants and all enlightened people in all lands the cry goes up, "Let light and love and power and death fulfil the purpose of the Coming One." Those words are a demand, a consecration, a sacrifice, a statement of belief and a challenge to the Avatar Who waits in His High Place until the demand is adequate, and the cry clear enough to warrant His descent and His appearance.
Demand without paralleling action is useless, just as faith without works is dead. It is here that there is a break in the magnetic link which should unite the Avatar with the demand for His coming forth. His emergence must be caused by a fivefold chain or thread of energy: the focussed will of the people, the massed intent of the world disciples and aspirants, plus their desire, their active participation in the task of clearing the way for Him, and complete selflessness. Only when humanity has itself done everything possible to adjust that which is wrong and to end that which is evil, and has carried this effort even to the sacrifice of life itself, can He, the Desire of all nations, appear.
Today this is being attempted. The great event of the appearance of the Avatar can be made possible by a little increased effort. The mission of the Buddha at this particular Wesak Festival is to add that new impetus, that fresh illumination, and that added power and fixed purpose which will enable mankind to surmount this crisis. From the side of the spiritual Forces of the planet, everything will then have been done to make the appearance of the Avatar possible. From the side of humanity, I would ask you: What will be done?
Between the Source from which all Avatars come forth  and humanity, stands the Hierarchy of Love, stands Christ and His disciples, stand the Masters of the Wisdom. They are united, all of Them, in one stupendous effort to aid mankind at this time to surmount the Dweller on the Threshold and to come closer to the Angel. This necessitates some greater help and this help will be forthcoming when humanity and the Hierarchy in one fused and blended effort stand with massed intent, invoking that aid and expecting it also.
The Appearance of Avatars
Since the year 1400 (a date to which I referred earlier) there have been constant appearances of lesser avatars, called forth in response to minor crises, to national dilemmas and religious necessity. They have taken the form of those men and women who have championed successfully some truth or some right cause, some human right or correct human demand. All these people have worked actively upon the physical plane and seldom received recognition for what they truly were; only history, at a later date, laid emphasis upon their achievement. But they changed the current of men's thoughts; they pointed a way to a better life; they pioneered into new territories of human achievement. Such a one was Luther; another was Columbus; still others were Shakespeare and Leonardo da Vinci—to mention only four who so lived and thought and acted that they conditioned after events in some field of human living and are still recognised as pioneering souls, as leaders of men. With these disciples I shall not deal. They embodied ideas and made history—not the history of conquest but the history of progress. I seek to consider with you those still greater Appearances Who come forth from some hidden centre, remote from or near to humanity, and Who "release from crisis the sons of men." These fall mainly into four relatively minor groups:
1. Racial Avatars. These Appearances are evoked by the genius and destiny of a race. The typical man (in quality and consciousness, not necessarily physically) foreshadows  the nature of some race. Such a man was Abraham Lincoln, coming forth from the very soul of a people, and introducing and transmitting racial quality—a quality to be worked out later as the race unfolds. Coming forth correspondingly from the realm of cosmic evil, and responsible for the focus of materialism upon the planet today was Bismarck. Both men came forth within the same one hundred years, thus demonstrating the balance in nature and the constant interplay of the pairs of opposites. They are both types of the most powerful Avatars which humanity itself has as yet produced. They emerge along the lines of government, of the first ray and in the department of the Manu, and are very sensitive to Shamballa force. Such Avatars frequently emerge at the founding of a nation. This is true of both Bismarck and Lincoln.
2. Teaching Avatars. These Appearances sound a new note in the realm of thought and of consciousness; they reveal the next needed truth; they pronounce those words and formulate those truths which throw light upon the spiritual development of humanity. Such Avatars were Plato, the first Patanjali and Sankaracharya; they emerge upon the second ray line of energy, in the department of the Christ and are expressions of hierarchical force. When I say the department of the Christ, I would remind you that the name "Christ" is that of an office—an office that has always had its Head. I do not mention the Christ or the Buddha as among these Avatars because They are Avatars of another class and of infinitely greater potency.
3. Ray Avatars. These great Beings come forth at relatively long intervals when a ray is coming into manifestation. They embody the quality and the force of a particular ray. Next century, when the seventh ray has achieved complete manifestation and the Piscean influence is entirely removed, the seventh ray Avatar will appear. His work will demonstrate the law, order and rhythm of the creative process as it works out on the physical plane, blending spirit and matter. And as this ray is called the Ray of Ceremonial Order or Ritual,  He will be largely instrumental in producing those conditions which will permit of the reappearance upon Earth of the Mysteries of Initiation, of which the Hierarchy is the custodian. He is necessarily connected with the Great White Lodge on Sirius. This fact does not, however, concern us now, for we await the coming of a still greater Avatar.
4. Transmitting Avatars. These manifestations of divinity appear at those great cyclic moments of revelation when humanity needs the expression of a new truth or the expansion of an old one in order to progress still higher on the evolutionary ladder. These Avatars issue forth in response to demand and are not so much concerned with racial development as They are with the subjective unfoldment of consciousness and with the stimulation of humanity as a whole. Of these Avatars the Buddha and the Christ are outstanding examples. They were not only human-divine Avatars, and hence able to link humanity with the Hierarchy, but They were something far greater and more important. They had reached the point where They could act as Transmitters of certain cosmic principles which—focussed in Them in an extra-planetary sense—could stimulate the deeply hidden and latent corresponding principle in humanity. They transmitted and brought something from outside the planetary life—from the very Heart of God to the heart of man. The Buddha, because He achieved illumination, stimulated the light in the world, in humanity and in all forms. He served the soul of man. The Christ, because of His stupendous achievement—along the line of understanding—transmitted to humanity, for the first time in human history, an aspect and a potency of the nature of God Himself, the Love principle of the Deity. Prior to the advent of the Buddha, light, aspiration, and the recognition of God Transcendent had been the flickering expression of the human attitude to God. Then the Buddha came and demonstrated in His Own life the fact of God Immanent as well as God Transcendent; the idea of God in the universe and of God in humanity evolved. The Selfhood of Deity  and the Self in the heart of individual man became a factor in human consciousness. It was a relatively new truth to be grasped by humanity. It had always been known by disciples and initiates.
However, until Christ came and lived a life of love and service and gave mankind the new commandment to love, there had been very little emphasis upon God as Love in any of the world Scriptures. After He appeared as the Avatar of Love, then God became known as Love supernal, love as the goal and objective of creation, love as the basic principle of relationships, and love working throughout all manifestation towards a plan motivated by love. This divine quality Christ revealed, and thus altered all human living and human goals. At that time too there came a great impetus and extension to the work and growth of the Hierarchy, as there was in a lesser degree when the Buddha came. Many initiates became Masters; many Masters passed to still higher work, and many disciples took their places in the ranks of the initiates. There was numerically a great influx of aspirants into the ranks of accepted disciples.
I have considered some of these Avatars in my earlier writings under different names and categories. I deal with Them here simply in an effort to reach a wider public with the teaching on the doctrine of Avatars or of divine Appearances. The Bible is full of such Appearances, but little is really understood about Them. The above are the more familiar groupings.
In September 1940 I gave an interpretation of a new Stanza of the Great Invocation, and in that communication I spoke of Divine Embodiments as the highest type of Avatar for which humanity could look at this point in its evolution. I spoke of the activity of the Hierarchy and of Shamballa, should these two divine Agencies decide that intervention in the form of a widespread cataclysm (engulfing all peoples) was necessary, and I referred to the emergence of inspired leadership as another and lower aspect of divine guidance and participation.
Such inspired leadership is now being given to humanity by Winston Churchill and Franklin D. Roosevelt, in contra-distinction to the focussed leadership of the forces of materialism through Hitler and another man in his group. But it is not with this form of leadership as expressive of the avataric principle that I deal here. Such leadership is called forth by elements present in humanity itself. I deal now with a fifth type of Avatar, greater than the other four. These Avatars have not, in this world cycle, experienced human life.
5. Divine Embodiments. These Avatars appear rarely; and when They do, the effectiveness and results of Their work are very great. They issue forth into manifestation via the centre at Shamballa, because They are an expression of the will nature of Deity; They embody divine purpose; the energy pouring through Them and transmitted by Them is focussed through the Lord of the World; They can only be reached by the united voices of the Hierarchy and of humanity speaking in unison; Their service is evoked only by realised need, and only after those who call Them forth have added to their faith strenuous action and have done their utmost, alone and unaided, to overcome evil.
They never descend lower than the mental plane, and the main emphasis and attention of Their work is directed to the Hierarchy; the Hierarchy is Their transmitting agency; They occasionally reach those thinking people, focussed on the mental plane, who have clear vision, potent resolve, directed will and open minds, plus of course, essential purity of form. These Avatars express the Will of God, the energy of Shamballa, and the impulse lying behind divine purpose. When They do come forth, it will be the destroyer aspect of the first ray of power which They will express; They bring about death—the death of all old and limiting forms and of that which houses evil. Their work will, therefore, fall into two categories:
a. They will destroy the forces of evil, using the agency of the Forces of Light.
b. They will reveal as much of the divine purpose as humanity is able to grasp through its best minds and most dedicated aspirants; They will clarify the vision of the world disciples and of all who have the disciplined will-to-know and who are dedicated to and expressive of the will-to-good. This knowledge and this will are needed in the coming period of readjustment.
How They will bring the present evil conditions to an end and how They will destroy the present evil state of materialistic aggression I may not reveal. It is not yet certain that human development and understanding and the massed intent of humanity will be adequate to the needed demand and strong enough to call Them forth. Time alone can determine that. God grant that the aspirants and disciples of the world will awaken to the opportunity and the imminent and waiting possibility. The plight of vast groups of people upon the planet today lies heavy upon the heart of the Hierarchy. But to bring release and the Appearance of the Power that can liberate, human cooperation is needed. Nowhere is this more desperately needed than among the German people in their unhappy land. God grant, therefore, that those Germans who have vision may join the forces of those who are seeking to free Germany and the German people from the imposed tyranny of the evil Lodge, working through their seven representatives in Germany. Once the Germans who are living free lives in other lands can think in terms of humanity as a whole and not in terms of national glamours, revenge or self-pity, then their voices will be added to those of the other free peoples and to those of the aspirants and disciples in all other nations.
When the Avatar comes He will convey to humanity something for which we have as yet no true name. It is neither love nor will as we understand them. Only a phrase of several words can convey something of the significance and then only feebly. This phrase is "the principle of directed purpose." This principle involves three factors:
a. Understanding (intuitive and instinctual, but intelligently interpreted) of the plan as it can be worked out in the immediate future.
b. Focussed intention, based on the above and emphasising an aspect of the will, hitherto undeveloped in man.
c. Capacity to direct energy (through understanding and intent) towards a recognised and desired end, overcoming all obstacles and destroying all that stands in the way. This is not destruction of forms by force such as is now being imposed on the world, but a destruction brought about by the greatly strengthened life within the form. Only the next one hundred years will reveal the significance of this statement and then only if the massed intent of the people evokes this Avatar of Synthesis during the next twelve months. I have called this Being by this name because it expresses the quality and the objective of the force He brings and wields.
Another and lesser Avatar is also awaiting a call from humanity. He is esoterically related to the Avatar of Synthesis, being overshadowed by Him. This Avatar can descend on to the physical plane into outer expression and can thus step down and transmit the stimulation and quality of the force of the greater Avatar Who can come no nearer than the mental plane. Who this Coming One may be is not yet revealed. It may be the Christ, if His other work permits; it may be One chosen by Him to issue forth, overshadowed by the Avatar of Synthesis and directed in His activities by the Christ, the Lord of Love. In this way, the energies of both Shamballa and the Hierarchy will be focussed through the chosen Coming One. Thus a triangle of loving, purposeful energy will be created which may prove a more effective way of releasing energy and a safer way, than the focussed impact of one selected force might be.
I realise the difficulty of this subject and perhaps may simplify the matter by a brief summation:
1. A great cosmic Avatar can come if the Hierarchy and humanity can stand together with massed intent.
a. He will descend into the three worlds of human endeavour, but no nearer than the mental plane.
b. He will transmit a cosmic energy whose quality is Synthesis. This will express itself through harmony and unity, producing necessarily understanding, promoting goodwill, and eventually ending the separative, isolating tendencies of mankind.
c. His note and vibration can only be sensed by those whose individual note is also synthesis and whose life objective is the will-to-good. These are consequently the Members of the Hierarchy, the disciples and aspirants of the world and a few of the men of goodwill.
2. A Messenger or Avatar of equal rank to the Christ in the Hierarchy (or possibly Christ Himself) may come forth as the Representative of the Avatar of Synthesis and as His transmitting Agent.
a. This lesser Avatar works today as one of the senior Members of the Great White Lodge and is in close touch with the Christ, with the Manu and with the Lord of Civilisation, the Master R.; He will act as the Coordinator between the Hierarchy and Shamballa. He will fuse and blend in Himself, through the quality of His Own life, the three great energies:
The will-to-spiritual power.
The will-to-love in its spiritual connotation.
The will-to-manifest spiritually.
b. The antiquity of the achievement of this Coming One is to be found in the name applied to Him, which is found in so many of the world Scriptures: The Rider on the White Horse. This refers to the time prior to the phrase so well-known in the Christian fields: "The Lamb slain from the foundation of the world." In the earlier cycle, the then initiates spoke of the "sacrificial horse, slain to all eternity." It conveys the same basic idea.
c. This Avatar can descend to the physical plane and there appear, to lead His people—as the Prince Who leads through war to peace.
d. The whole problem before the Hierarchy and humanity today, in connection with the coming Avatar, can be summed up in the following four questions:
Can He bring the energy of synthesis with Him, thereby bringing about rapid changes?
This depends upon His being overshadowed by the Avatar of Synthesis and upon that Avatar being evoked through the demand and the massed intent of humanity, aided by the Hierarchy.
Will the demand of the people be strong enough to evoke the higher potency, or will it be too feeble because of the failure of the world disciples and aspirants to focus this massed intent throughout the planet?
Will the higher overshadowing not take place and only the lesser Avatar come to institute a slower method of gradual reform?
This slower method will be necessitated only if and because humanity will have demonstrated its inability to call forth and receive the higher measure and more potent vibration of divine energy. It is entirely for the decision of the world disciples and aspirants; not the decision of poor bewildered, deluded humanity. Will the world disciples and aspirants appreciate the crisis and opportunity? They have not yet, as a whole, done so.
3. The Hierarchy today stands with massed intent. The cry of the masses is rising up to the very gates of Shamballa. It is stronger by far than the demand of the spiritually oriented people—the disciples, the aspirants, the men of goodwill. They seem—from the viewpoint of the Hierarchy—to be overcome by inertia, to be engrossed by their theories and idealisms, and to be blind to the issues at stake. Can they be aroused? Can they stand with focussed intent, strenuous  physical service and activity, and determined effort to struggle, even unto death, for the defeat of evil? Can they preserve the inner attitude of love and non-separateness? Can they relinquish all for love of humanity? Can they sacrifice every thing for the cause of freedom and of righteousness? This is the problem confronting Those Who are working for the appearance of the Greater and the Lesser Avatars Who can at this time save humanity if humanity desires salvation and will take the needed steps.
The Needed Steps
These steps are various in kind though one in intent. The first step is to realise clearly what are the methods whereby the Avatar can come and so reach humanity. These are the same methods, whether it is the Avatar of Synthesis, working through the Hierarchy, or the Avatar of Coordination (as I might call Him), working through humanity and representing the greater Avatar upon the physical plane.
The methods whereby Avatars reach and influence Their agents or those who respond to Their note, vibration and message are three in number.
1. Overshadowing. Where there is kinship in quality, in objective and in nature, it is possible for the Avatar to overshadow some Member of the Hierarchy (as in the case of the Avatar of Synthesis) or some disciple or aspirant where humanity is concerned (in the case of a lesser Avatar). This is done through meditation, through a directed stream of thought energy, the presentation of a thoughtform and the evocation of the focussed will of the one who is overshadowed. All this proceeds rapidly where there is close cooperation between the latter (the sensitive responding disciple) and the Avatar. The Christ is today in very close rapport with the Avatar of Synthesis, and this rapport will continue, becoming closer and closer until the Full Moon of June; He is giving all possible aid, as is His Brother, the Buddha. It is this which makes the coming Full Moon of May of such supreme importance.
A group of Masters and initiates Who are specially related to the Christ's department, as well as a group working under the Master M., are endeavouring to respond to this overshadowing which is only possible—even to Them—when transmitted to Them by the Christ. (I talk here of mysteries.) It will therefore be apparent to you that, as They succeed and become increasingly sensitive to and aware of this overshadowing energy of the great Avatar, Their disciples on earth can also—in a dim and faint way—become responsive to the ideas that are formulated in the mind of their particular Master in response to avataric impression. Ponder on this.
2. Inspiration. This is more direct than overshadowing and more potent in results. Certain Members of the Hierarchy and, above all, the lesser Avatars, are inspired from "on high" by the cosmic Avatar and become at times direct expressions of His mind, His energy and His plans. This is the spiritual correspondence to obsession. In the case of obsession, a man is taken possession of and inspired by some evil entity; in inspiration, there is no possession but only what is called "identical response"—a very different thing. In the one case, the free will and intelligent understanding of the Master or the disciple is enlisted on the side of the spiritual Agent; the spiritual man, functioning as a soul, becomes the channel for forces, ideas and activities other than his own but to which he gives full intuitive assent. It is all carried forward with full understanding and consciousness of method, process and results. It is an act of free spiritual cooperation, for the good of humanity, in the work of a great spiritual Force or Being. The cooperation of the Master Jesus with the Christ is a case in point. In connection with the coming Avatar, it may involve the cooperation of the Christ or of a "kindred, equal soul" with a cosmic Being or Presence, taking place on still higher spiritual levels of consciousness and producing an incredibly focussed potency.
In the case of obsession, the evil force enslaves the personality which, in the majority of cases, is but a shell. Of this, Hitler is a case in point. This produces greater potency  on the physical plane and on the astral plane; it is quicker and more immediate in results, but the lasting power is less and the effects are relatively temporary.
In the processes of inspiration, the lesser Avatar—through His life and contacts in the three worlds—will necessarily influence sensitive, spiritually oriented disciples and aspirants, and thus the inspiration coming from the cosmic Avatar becomes in time a group inspiration, and therefore can be more safely handled. This group inspiration can happen today. If it does, there will then be a simultaneous appearing of the cosmic Avatar, the World Saviour in the Person of the lesser Avatar, and—at the same time—a group saviour, composed of responsive disciples and world servers. Ponder again on this.
In this way, if you will note carefully, there is established a direct linked chain from humanity, via the Hierarchy, to Shamballa. The Hierarchy is working at the establishing of this chain, aided by Their disciples. The demand for the cooperation of all aspirants is now going forth, because the times are urgent. If this relationship can be established (and it will be a sad day for humanity if it cannot), then the third method of avataric expression becomes possible.
3. Appearance or Manifestation. Every possible step has been taken by the Hierarchy to enable the Avatar, the Coming One, to appear. What these steps are cannot be declared here. Only some questions, suggesting possibility, are permissible. Think you that His body of manifestation is already on Earth, waiting to be overshadowed, inspired and used at the right time, as was the vehicle of the Master Jesus by the Christ? There are those who say that it is waiting and has been waiting for 22 years. Is it possible that there will be a sudden descent of the Prince of Light and Peace to change present conditions by the effectiveness of His radiance and His message? There are those who look for Him to suddenly appear, and they number millions of expectant people. Some say He is already on His way. Is it possible that this Wesak Festival will see Him approach  nearer to the Hierarchy and make a contact with Them? Some say it will take place. Can the "massed intent" of humanity evoke response and lead to the appearance on Earth of the lesser Avatar? Some say nothing can stop it. Prophecy, expectation and the present time cycle testify to the opportunity. This possible dual event—the coming of the Avatar of Synthesis to the Hierarchy and of the lesser Avatar, His Representative, to humanity—can be a probable happening if the world disciples and aspirants measure up to the opportunity.
The Immediate Task
I enter upon my concluding remarks wondering if anything I can say will awaken disciples to the needed spiritual effort—a spiritual effort which must find expression in physical plane decisions and activity. A certain aspect of physical plane effort is already being undertaken by them through very force of circumstance: Red Cross activity in every land, response to urgent, surrounding, physical need, and the mobilisation of their time and resources by leaders in all countries are the keynotes of the time. But it is the inner spiritual activity and orientation (paralleling the outer activity) which is required. This is an activity which is preceded by clear factual thinking and decision. Can the world disciples and aspirants evidence this full life on all levels? Are they capable of an intensive inner life as well as of unflagging attention to outer duty and demands? This is the problem. Are they capable of laying aside their own pet theories and trifling ideals (trifling in the face of the appalling world situation) and focus every possible effort on fighting evil upon the physical plane, as well as on other levels, with every possible agency? Can they at the same time live that dynamic life of thought and inclusive comprehension which will find expression in the voiced appeal to the Avatar? It is feeling and fanatical adherence to a loved ideal which frequently stand between a disciple and effective service on the physical plane. It is old habits of  thought and the determined effort to interpose some mystical dream between conditions as they are and conditions as they could be, if disciples took right action, which have prevented effective service.